BAIT AND SWITCH FRAUD by LIN <removed>

VMillett
Contributor
Contributor

Classic bait and switch.

Seller: LIN <removed>

I ordered a 3-4 person an automatic hydraulic tent with a very specific operating mechanism. After contacting paypal when item was not received and emails to seller were never returned. I finally got legitimate tracking order for a shipment. It was only then that it became known that this was being shipped from China.

Received a small, very cheaply made (with low quality materials) pop-up tent instead. It had a totally different mechanism than the tent ordered. NO hydraulic system at all. Horribly wrapped. Contacted seller again through PayPal dispute resolution center. Did not receive a response. Escalated claim to PayPal. PayPal reviewed claim and approved a refund if I pay to return ship it.  EVEN THOUGH THE SELLERS FAKE WEBSITE RETURN POLICY SAYS THEY WONT ASK THE BUYER TO RETURN THE PURCHASE IF SHIPPING IS GREATER THAN THE COST OF THE PRODUCT. BUT, IF you file a claim with PayPal all that means nothing.  THAT IS THE SCAM. The seller knows that ppl wont PAY to send back the crap he sent.  WIN WIN for LIN <removed>

Cost I paid for tent was $59.99. Return shipping would have been $79. Either way, scammer/seller wins. If I don't shell out the money to return, scammer/seller will keep my money in exchange for a low quality, lightweight childs item that cost almost nothing to make and ship to me. If I return the item, I will be out the money for return shipping and the scammer/seller may still claim item is not received or not in its original state, thereby keeping my money in anycase. Having now read that this has happened to others, I am certain that this is a fraudulent website for the purpose of this scam.

What does it take for PayPal to address an obvious scam? Just put this sellers name in the search area and you'll see that this guy just keeps stealing. 

He sells off: (removed by moderator)

Kids toy, no hydraulics, no instructionsKids toy, no hydraulics, no instructionsThis shipped, no box, wrapped in plasticThis shipped, no box, wrapped in plasticsophisticated hydraulic advertisedsophisticated hydraulic advertisedcylinder carrying bag as seen on his websitecylinder carrying bag as seen on his website

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

sc24452
Contributor
Contributor

I am a seller who got scammed the other way around.

PayPal don't check what you sent back to return nor the ACTUAL address.

As long as they see that the package is received on a tracking system, they refund your money. 

You might learn something from my story.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-Limitations/Use-PayPal-to-buy-things-without-paying...

Login to Me Too

SChiasson3
Contributor
Contributor

This is exactly what happened to me. Same fraudulent advertising and I also received a  cheap, shoddy kid's sized tent that wasn't hydraulic. 

Paypal has just asked me to return the item at the newest address the seller provided. The cost is upwards of $188 Canadian dollars.  The tent was the same $ 69 USD or about $90 Canadian.

Obviously, that's not going to happen. I would lose much more money.

I am accepting the cost of a Buyer's Beware lesson instead. 

But, what has disappointed me the most... is that Paypal did not respond to my very specific warning that this seller is a fraud. There are complaints readily visible in a google search about this seller about this exact same fraudulent tent advertisement. 

I already knew I'd been victimised, since the seller wasn't answering his various emails, and i'd done the google search.

It would have been nice if PayPal had offered me an apology and stated their intention to block this seller and investigate. 

I have always been satisfied with purchases via PayPal in the past.

of course, I will be a bit less likely to pay for all my internet shopping through Paypal after this. 

Login to Me Too

rbt-nor
New Community Member

Same with me.

Have filed a complaint with Paypal and demanded full refund, am disgusted with Paypal for supporting the sellers fraud. Will have to find other payment methods in the future, Paypal cannot be trusted.

Login to Me Too

mieshka
New Community Member

This also happened to me and I only was offered a refund if I could provide a tracking number. To do so from US to China costs $52 via mail, not worth it. Lin knew this. It is unfortunate that PayPal would not take the time to refuse Lin further services. Never buying ANYTHING I see on FB ever again unless someone I personally knew has purchased. Amazon all the way.

Login to Me Too

winweasel
New Community Member

Exactly the same issue.  Ordered and paid for a hydraulic dome tent:  Got a cheap knock-off of a pop-tent.  Reporting to PayPal.  If PayPal fails to provide a full refund, I will escalate this to both the Consumer Protection Bureau and my state's Attorney General.

Login to Me Too

winweasel
New Community Member

Below is the text of my resolution center complaint:

The link to PayPal forums clearly shows what the seller ships and (right below the pictures of the product received, the product advertised).  This seller has a sizable number of complaints for exactly the issue I am reporting.  It is pretty clear that it isn't an error by the seller but an intentional fraud.  PayPal is supposed to be providing a safe and secure way to purchase products from non-traditional brick and mortar sellers:  The forum thread with this seller seems to belie that claim.
I want a full refund.  If the seller wants to provide return shipping, I will ship the crappy pop-tent knock-off back to them.  I won't even charge for the tape, or my time.
Because of what I read in the forum on this seller and PayPal's response; any action short of a full and immediate refund will result in my escalating this matter with the Consumer Protection Agency, Senator Warren (my senator) , and the state's Attorneys General of Massachusetts, California, Nebraska, and Texas.
I resent being defrauded.  And I am extremely dismayed by the reports of PayPal's response to this fraud.

Those of you being told that you need to provide proof of shipping at your expense should file complaints the the Consumer Protection Agency

their state's Attorney General, and the bank or credit card agency through which payment was made to PayPal.  Clearly, PayPal has been dropping the ball with this fraudster.

Login to Me Too

Jc30168
Contributor
Contributor
Exactly the same with me. Cheap and nasty childs pop up tent received not the hydraulic 3-4 man tent ordered. I will escalate to Credit card if no satisfAction here.
Login to Me Too

JadeCE
New Community Member

This has also happened to me. Saw the ad on Facebook and looked just what i needed as was going to a mates in Cornwall and was camping there. brought the 3-4 man tent for more space and it showed up a few days before we were due to go and i was so excited until i opened it up. completely freaking gutted and cant see anyway i can get the money back or where to even start with it.

is there any chance of getting the money back as i paid via PayPal which then came from my credit card?

Login to Me Too

heovha

Ok, this scam operation continues here in this site

https://polaristore.net/products/fourth-generation-hydraulic-tent-three-seconds-fast-open

I hope paypal can do something about it!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.