Authorised payment that wasn't authorised

Skistian1234
Contributor
Contributor

Total AV took £118.80 out of my account as an authorised payment.  I have emailed the address on the paypal statement and they deny taking the payment and Paypal are saying its ok as it was authorised and closed my case!!!!!!! Anyone out there who can help?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Shawna

Hi @Skistian1234,

Thank you for visiting the Community Forum. 

It sounds like perhaps it was an automatic pre-approved payment for a service. You can follow these steps to check for an automatic payment and cancel it if necessary: How do I cancel an automatic payment I have with a merchant?

You can also appeal the case decision within 10 days. You can find the steps to appeal in the Help Center article: How can I appeal PayPal’s decision on my case?

If you're still need further assistance after checking into that, I'd recommend reaching out to our Customer Support to research this a bit further. You can reach Customer Support by clicking Contact and then Call Us at the bottom of the PayPal website. They're also available through Twitter direct message or Facebook instant message. 

I hope this helps!

-Shawna

Login to Me Too

Skistian1234
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply,

Unfortunately Paypal said they couldn't help.  What is also odd, I never receieved an email alerting that a payment had gone out to them. I normally get emails when any payments have been taken.

Its very annoying.  I feel like I am going around in circles.  Paypal on twitter have assisted but I haven't got anywhere. 

Login to Me Too

Softangel2011
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same payment taken by Total AV.
Nobody expects these payments yet PAYPAL are defending Total for acting as a Scammer and sending all the payment through to them.

ITS DISGUSTING AND REFUSING MY APPEAL when I didnt expect the payment either to be made.

First year antivirus £25, Second year £118 - WHERE IS THE SENSE PAYPAL AND WHY LETTING A SCAMMING COMPANY GET AWAY WITH ROBBING ALL YOUR CUSTOMERS.

Paypal should block Total AV from using them to protect customers.

Login to Me Too

Skistian1234
Contributor
Contributor
I managed to get my money back but not through PayPal. Total av made me close the case and then they gave me my money back. I have complained to PayPal but they don't really give any answers. Unsure why I use them if they don't offer protection as they clearly state. Also I never received an email stating the money was taken out, only by chance I saw it on my bank statement. With all other PayPal payments I always get email, notification. PayPal are either up to something dodgy or they don't want to admit its a massive error on their behalf.
Login to Me Too

Softangel2011
Contributor
Contributor

I contacted Paypal Support after they refused my appeal, I asked them why they were supporting a company that was scamming Paypal customers without their permission.  I also found out there is a section in your Paypal account that has recurring payment companies listed!!!  This is how Total AV get payment without your permission.  I have gone in and deleted every one of them.  I also called in Total AV and told them the misery they are causing me with that money gone from my bank account.  They tried to sell me the services for half price and I said why would I give you all that when I never pay more than £20 for antivirus never even heard of anyone paying £118.  After 20 mins on the phone with them they refunded my money to Paypal now I have to wait for Paypal to put it back into my bank account.  Anyone reading this find the reoccuring payments sections on your Paypal account - they have all been set up without your clear knowledge and delete everyone of those companies unless its someone you use regular, then this can never happen again.  Its taken me a whole week to get a refund and a lot of stress.

I have used Paypal for over 20 years and this is the first time its gone wrong - I think Paypal needs to BLOCK TOTAL AV FROM USING THEM to prevent all the Paypal customers getting scammed.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.