Asked Don to speak to supervisor

Jodio
Contributor
Contributor

I was encouraged by friends to pursue an issue I had with an order (initially placed in September 2019) further with PayPal. Today I spoke to Don in Customer Service, and after an unsatisfactory conversation asked to speak to his supervisor. He was reluctant to do so, but then said he would and put me on hold to do what I assumed was facilitating this process. After a brief wait, he came back on and said he was transferring me to his supervisor. I have at this point been listening to the phone ring for 10 minutes without a response.

In September 2019 I placed an order with a company named NoraCora. A few items arrived quickly, many of which were poor quality. I contacted the company directly and was told I could pay to return the items or they would offer me a 15% cash refund. I was going to return the items I could not give as gifts, but then they informed me that their return department is in Shanghai. I accepted the cash option on the items I could not use as intended. A week later a shirt arrived. The picture online was of a lovely heathered cotton tshirt with floral embroidery. What arrived was a polyester shiny grey shirt with a printed flower design. Knowing their policy, I did not pursue a refund for this item. I had also ordered 3 dresses that had not arrived, but I double checked online, and it said they were linen dresses and because they were so beautiful I did not cancel the order. I contacted the company again in November because the dresses had not arrived. They promised to refund me the cost, and it never happened. I emailed repeatedly, and was repeatedly assured of an impending refund but it never happened.  It is then that I reached out to Paypal via my cell phone app and computer. I filed a complaint that 1 item arrived not as described and 3 items were cancelled and never refunded. Given the limited options in the resolution center, the entire order was classified as not as described merchandise. I appealed this, sent 3 emails to Paypal with all the above information. In the resolution center the company (Nora Cora) offered to refund the cost of the 3 dresses but not the shirt that arrived as described. Given the time invested on my part, I wanted a full refund on the shirt and the 3 dresses that were cancelled. Paypal's resolution center sided with Nora Cora because, according to Don today, I did not send in a tracking number. In the 3 emails I sent replying to their request for a tracking number, I explained that there was no tracking number. That the cost of returning the shirt to Shanghai (All information on the box and invoice listed California addresses. It is only when you contact the company for return approval that you find out that their returns are processed in Shanghai) was 3x the cost of the shirt, and that I had never received the dresses, the order was cancelled. Disheartened that I fell for a scam and that I could not figure out how to get Paypal to advocate for me as their customer I just stepped away.  Over the holidays I spoke with several people that encouraged me to reach out to Paypal again. So today at around 5:25PM Arizona time I contacted Paypal customer Service hoping that speaking with a human being would make it work. Don was initially polite, but then much less so. As I finish this, I have spent 35 minutes listening to a phone ring after her "transferred me to his supervisor."

Also, sometime in December when I was still hoping for a refund, I researched Nora Cora. Turns out this is how they operate. I shared that information with Paypal, but they must have already known that because they are mentioned frequently in the Nora Cora negative reviews. For some people, Paypal came through and was able to achieve a refund. Just not my lucky day? I also reported Nora Cora to The Federal Trade Commission.

Any Advice?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

JoeGanci
Contributor
Contributor

This is the standard operating procedure of many companies in China (and probably elsewhere) too. I was scammed out of $50 and found myself in the same situation. PayPal would not fight for me, as I thought they might. I trust wish.com but can't think of another company in China that I would  trust to deliver what they promise. The tell-tale sign is seeing a high quality product at a very low price being advertised on Facebook (in my case), the same product under several different company names, all of which are in China. In my case it was a slide out flat second monitor that attaches to the back of a laptop, for only $50. I feel foolish now having purchased it because the retail for a similar product is closer to $250 - $300. What I ended up getting was a knock-off Chromecast thingie, cheaply made, that attaches to an HDMI port, worth probably $10 if that much. PayPal said the company would refund me the money if I sent the product back to the vendor, a product that they definitely would not want back. The clincher was that the cost to send it back to China was $137! 

So no more responding to ads on Facebook when I'm half-asleep looking at my phone in bed at night. In fact, no more Facebook on my phone at night period. 

Login to Me Too

Jodio
Contributor
Contributor
And I thought PayPal guaranteed refunds under this scenario? At the time that was why I used PayPal instead of giving them (Nora Cora) direct access to my credit card. Through all of this a refund from PayPal was never offered.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.