Aser.co is a scam

mnelson825
Contributor
Contributor
Ordered RC trucks and construction equipment on a Facebook ad, but product was not the same as the advertisement. Email to request return is not valid, so will request help from PayPal.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mnelson825 

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item OR service
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. Paypal will review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click on the transaction and use the resolve a problem option at the bottom of that details page.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If you lose because seller provides a fake tracking number (likely) then post back for more advice.
If the item arrives and its tat the make sure you CHANGE the dispute quickly before it closes to 'not as described'.
If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Also make sure you have activated the below link in case you have to return it.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ChrisMkOz
Contributor
Contributor

You've probably already arrived at the conclusion that you won't receive your money back. ASER.CO dodging your communications is deliberate. I can already tell you how the dispute will go:

Let's hypothesise that you spent $200 and received products worth $20 (not unfeasible with ASER.CO). The product will not even be remotely of the same quality as the advertisements and will often exclude key components. The seller will respond to the dispute with illogical reasons why they cannot refund you and state (politely) that nothing is wrong with the product, even if you provide proof. You'll eventually get an offer of either:

1. a discount (say 40%) or
  2. a full refund if you post the item back to mainland China.

Neither option is viable as you've paid 10x what the product is worth, so 40% off is still terrible value for an item that does not match the advertised product in any way. Return postage to mainland China will often be as expensive as the original purchase price too, so unscrupulous sellers such as SER.CO will rely on buyers simply giving up. But wait.... the company is in London and ships from the UK. I thought they were legitimate. Why am I being asked to return the item to China? Herein lies the rub. That's the subtle beauty of this scam. All the reputational benefits of selling out of London and all the benefits of providing a return address in China.

What frustrates me no end is that PayPal facilitate this activity and reap the benefits of a spruiking a product feature (Buyer's Protection) that does not protect consumers from this type of scam at all. The fact that the Return Shipping Claim scheme is hidden in terms & conditions and not referenced in the resolution centre when a return shipping offer is made stinks. As is the lack recourse when a resolution offer is made by the seller that is blatantly unfair. I had the option of returning the product and providing a tracking number or sucking it up and closing the case.

There's plenty of evidence that these scams are happening. I provided a ton of proof when I raised a claim against ASER.CO and it was summarily ignored until I kept pushing for weeks. I even followed up to advise PayPal that ASER.COM were continuing to perpetrate the scam on a new website with the same methodology and a very slightly different product. I did not receive any solid information about what they planned to do apart from a scripted response advising that they review cases like this all the time and will review the seller. Yeah right. ASER.CO are still at it so nothing has transpired. I suspect that PayPal make things difficult for buyers caught up in this type of scam because they want to continue holding favour with Chinese sellers. It's commercially unviable to stop the scams.

What value does PayPal provide to it's users that my credit card doesn't? I could have disputed the transaction with my bank and had the money back in a week instead of wasting my time with robotic responses from PayPal and the Seller and dead ends within the Resolution Center. I eventually received a full refund from PayPal, as ASER.CO broke off all contact. All I had was a single email address that didn't bounce back emails. PayPal framed the refund as a once off gesture of goodwill, as I am apparently a good customer. It was a US$26 refund to an account that has processed about US$200K over it's lifetime.

Login to Me Too

Nonisoni
Contributor
Contributor
After not receiving product ordered back in September, advertised on Facebook crystal glue set, I started to research this ‘company’ as email for them has been deactivated. So shocked that they are still scamming people.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.