Are you able to withdraw money from your paypal balance if there's a dispute filed on it?

taemilk
Contributor
Contributor
I've recently bought concert tickets from a 2nd hand seller online and since he's from another country (i will be going to) we couldn't send payments thru bank/meet up so we agreed to use paypal, but he wasn't able to so he went to someone that helps people get their payments thru paypal to local. Now he's got me jumping through a few hoops. The payment I sent wasn't available for withdrawal until 4-5 days later and he just recently told me to dispute and get a refund on my money back because he wouldn't be able to get the money out because his account was limited because of all the money that was going through the account (many transactions for concert tickets). I asked if it was possible to see if it was possible to send the money to the seller so they could send me my tickets and he then told me to cancel the dispute. But I'm worried that now if I cancel it, I won't be able to file another dispute claim if something goes wrong. Is it possible for them to receive the money from their balance if there's a (starting) dispute filed on the transaction?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Michelle

Hi @taemilk,

I'm so sorry that the Community was not able to respond to your post, and that you've had such difficulty with a recent purchase. Hopefully you haven't taken any action on the dispute because cancelling it will mean you will not be able to open another one on the transaction. Unfortunately, this situation sounds very much like a fraudulent seller and opening a dispute was the right thing to do. When a dispute is open, PayPal does hold the balance until a resolution is reached; either you receive the item or a refund. Any seller trying to get you to cancel a dispute in order to be able to send the item is violating our User Agreement and this activity should be reported in the dispute details. If you need customer support to look into this for you, please follow the Help & Contact link at the bottom of the page, or you can also reach us on Facebook or at @AskPayPal on Twitter.  

I hope this helps and thank you for joining the Community!

Michelle 

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

taemilk
Contributor
Contributor
Hey Michelle! Thanks for the reply, but thankfully I didn't go through with it and kept the dispute going. I've recently brought it up to a claim for paypal so I'm just waiting for the dispute to be solved. Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.