Appeal to PAY PAL resolution centre favours fraudster: do I have any way of getting redress?

Chris1651
Contributor
Contributor

We sold some shoes and received money for them into our Pay Pal Account.  The buyer asked the shoes be sent to a particular address: we have proof of this request and the address. The shoes were sent there and signed for.   The buyer then put the shoes up for sale on a website and has sold them on. We have proof of this.   In the meantime, the buyer asked pay pal for his money to be returned to him as he had not received the shoes.  We sent the proof to Pay Pal of the shoes having been signed for. Pay Pal took the money out of our account and gave it back to the original buyer of the shoes despite,  1. Proof that we sent the shoes to the buyers requested address; 2. That the shoes were received and signed for; and, 3) that we have proof that he has already sold them on. Our appeal has been turned down  by Pay Pal. Pay Pal is therefore facilitating fraud and theft. How can we proceed to achieve justice?  

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Chris1651 

Sorry but you allowed the theft.

You should really read up on paypal seller protection before you start to sell.

For seller protection in the event of an item not received dispute you have to provide trackable proof of delivery to the registered address of the buyer at the time of payment.

If she wanted it sent to another address then all you had to do was add a gift address to her paypal account and then select that address when she checked out to pay you. If she had already paid when you got the request then all you had to do is refund and allow her time to add the gift address and then pay again.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Chris1651
Contributor
Contributor

You may therefore say I did not quite follow process on a technicality. However Pay Pal has allowed and abetted obvious fraud.  They need to exercise some judgement here.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Chris1651 

The ONLY way paypal can tell if an item was delivered or not is by the tracking number.

If it shows as delivered to the buyers address you win, if it doesn't you lose.

The process is mostly automated and is not an insurance policy, the onus is on you to read up on seller protection and make sure you have that protection for your transactions, you sadly didn't bother.

Paypal provide seller protection but its up to you to make sure you keep the coverage offered. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Chris1651
Contributor
Contributor

We have proof the buyer asked us to send the shoes to a particular address, as requested by the buyer. We have proof that the shoes were delivered there and signed for.  The buyer has sold the shoes on. We have proof also of this. The buyer has obviously committed fraud and Pay Pal is adding and abetting his, and hiding behind a technicality in order to protect and help a thief. To back Pay Pal up on this is beyond outrageous. Its so obvious what happened and they should not be supporting theft.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Chris1651 

Whatever, personally I think you should take responsibility for your own inaction.

Proof the buyer 'told you to send to another address' is NOT trackable proof of delivery of the item to the buyers paypal registered address.

Most other sellers can grasp that simple fact and so they tell buyers to add gift addresses if they want it sent elsewhere.

But then those sellers have normally taken the time to read up on seller protection first.

I am not defending paypal, there is no need, they provided you with seller protection but YOU chose to ignore and negate that protection and then turn around and blame everyone but yourself.

You still have the option of private legal action against the buyer if you want to go down that route but as you negated paypals protection through your own choices then nothing they can do for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.