Apparent scam

jjpp2
Contributor
Contributor

It seems many have suffered from this person/organisation.   I've had an amount of 57.67 taken from my bank account by Paypal  but no sign of it appears in my PP account -which is a BIG worry.  The bank attributes it to a company called "ESTIVALCOLT"...(for a car-creeper).  One would have to wonder about the authenticity of PP itself if this is happening.  Has anyone else had this experience?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NJFL 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item OR service
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. Paypal will review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click on the transaction and use the resolve a problem option at the bottom of that details page.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If you lose because seller provides a fake tracking number (likely) then post back for more advice.
If the item arrives and its tat the make sure you CHANGE the dispute quickly before it closes to 'not as described'.
If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Also make sure you have activated the below link in case you have to return it....or the correct one for your country.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jjpp2 

If you bought something online with a debit or credit card and did NOT log into your Paypal account then of course it won't show on that Paypal account because you bought as a 'guest buyer'.
However your seller may have processed that payment using their Paypal 'card reader' and so Paypal would show on your bank or card statement.

If that is not the case then contact customer services AND your card issuer to query the transactions.

If you need to open a dispute for a 'guest buyer' transaction then you can.......

1. Phone Paypal customer services and see if they will open one for you (difficult at the moment due to covid)
OR
2. Contact your card issuer for a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jjpp2
Contributor
Contributor

The item was bought using Paypal, logged in - using password.    My Paypal online "statement" shows no evidence of this transaction (Nov 16, 2020), but it appears on my bank statement on the same day where Paypal have made the withdrawal.   While the amount is only around $60, it is the process by which such an action can happen which is very worrying.

Login to Me Too

NJFL
Contributor
Contributor

I have a charge on my PAYPAL for $51.11 from Estival Co.,Ltd. on Nov 20th.

The only thing I ordered on that day was personalized Christmas balls from a company called Glorysecret. And I never received them.

this has to be the same company. I have emailed them and they sent me tracking on Dec 8th and that tracking has no info.

Yet they sent paypal a different tracking on my dispute which says it was delivered to my mail box on Nov 28th that is impossible because 2 christmas balls do not fit in the slot of my mail box.  I don't know what else to do.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NJFL 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item OR service
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. Paypal will review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click on the transaction and use the resolve a problem option at the bottom of that details page.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If you lose because seller provides a fake tracking number (likely) then post back for more advice.
If the item arrives and its tat the make sure you CHANGE the dispute quickly before it closes to 'not as described'.
If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Also make sure you have activated the below link in case you have to return it....or the correct one for your country.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jjpp2
Contributor
Contributor

So it appears that since the amount doesn't even appear on my Paypal account, I will need to go directly to the bank.   I'm finding it difficult to accept the fact that Paypal will let this situation arise.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jjpp2 

Paypal don't choose your sellers you do.

Paypal gives you some buyer protection but the onus is on us to risk assess our transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Marise2palmer
Contributor
Contributor
I had the same problem with the same company on my bankcard and complained many times over to paypal and was told case closed. I never received the goods and they took the money out. I dont trust Pay Pal now because they said an invoice had been raised they accepted it. However I never received the goods so it appears a SCAM.
Login to Me Too

Cimarock66
Contributor
Contributor
I would see how far you could raise the issue, especially if you have proof on ur side, such as the paid invoice. If I were you, I'd keep pushing this. They can't just take ur money and say case closed. No way!!!
Login to Me Too

Marise2palmer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have opened many an objection and Paypal has constantly closed every request I have made for a refund. 

1. scam possible fraud

2. wrong amount is taken lots changes in names from start to finish with Final  transaction in Bank account 

3. goods not received. 

4.  Enormous amount of effort on my behalf to communicate with PayPal to simply get every single time case closed. 

If Paypal is merely the vehicle to pay with they have a duty of care in Australia to ensure that the sellers deliver the goods and if that can not even happen we have a big Problem.  I have tried to contact the company but from the Paypal account contact the seller has an email address to PayPal Global. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.