Anyone have any luck getting a refund from a Chinese seller

Eisberna
New Community Member

I’m an idiot and bought something off of Facebook from the seller thekeilas.com. After a delay, I filed a PayPal dispute because the tracking information sent was bogus. They finally shipped something, but it was the wrong item. I escalate my dispute to a claim. PayPal said I could get a refund if I ship it back to China. It will cost $73 to return a $30 item. I can’t seem to get this through anyone’s head at PayPal. I’m messaging them to no avail. I hate that this seller is getting away with this and PayPal is offering me no real buyer protection. Has anyone had any luck getting a refund in this situation? I’ve told PayPal I’d be happy to ship it back if the seller pays for it.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Eisberna 

Sorry, it doesn't matter. This is how PayPal resolves SNAD disputes, return for a refund. Can't have both item and the money. Seller loses out on shipping to you and get their item back and you pay for the return shipping which you are not entitled to in disputes as per purchase protection policy. PayPal cannot force seller to provide it nor can PayPal refund you more than what you originally paid.

PayPal has a return shipping refund program for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

If you do not return item, you will lose PayPal dispute. If the outcome is not to your satisfaction, you may instead file a credit card dispute to exclusively resolve the issue through the card issuer. Once you do that, you cannot reopen or file another dispute with PayPal for this particular transaction.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Eisberna
New Community Member

I’ve learned a lesson here and am thankful I didn’t lose any more money than I already did. I have filed a dispute with my credit card company. I hope I have better luck with them.

Login to Me Too

RScott2
Contributor
Contributor

I just had this happen. I ordered 6 items and filed a claim because I didn't receive my items or a tracking number. The same day Paypal contacted the seller, amazingly I received a tracking number. It turns out the item I ordered that was shipped from US was actually being shipped from China. I received the package a month later with 1 of the 6 items ordered. I paid $179 for my order and received an item that costed $28.99. I have been filed resolution claims with paypal, but because the dishonest seller provided a shipping number, they are denying my claim for refund. After many emails, they said if I return the item, the seller will refund my money. I went to return the item and of course have to return to Vietnam...cost was over $300 to ship. I am so annoyed that they will not refund the difference between what I paid and what I received and I definitely should not have to return an item to Vietnam that supposedly was being shipped from the US. I am frustrated beyond belief that paypal condones this type of seller activity. I will never purchase anything using paypal again!

Login to Me Too

sj1111
New Community Member

Story started the same as yours, but...

I actually shipped the products back with tracking, etc., vendor confirmed receiving the product, promised a refund in an email, and still haven't received the refund. Sent that email to Paypal, and my dispute was denied. (??????)

Login to Me Too

2053jackie
New Community Member

Same thing happened to me, opened up a dispute after the item I purchased arrived faulty, got the seller to reply back to me saying will give a £5.00 refund. Now I only paid £25.49 for it, but it made me furious, to say that, so went through resolution centre, to try getting the full amount paid back. Was finally given address from Paypal of where to send item back, got tracking number and supplied photographic evidence to both Paypal and seller, at a cost of another £11.00 postage, to finally get my dispute closed in favour of seller, stating that no tracking information given. I appealed my case, stating the tracking information photo was attached to my case, as I could clearly see the attachment and again closed in the sellers favour.

The resolution centre only seems bothered with sellers, NOT buyers as this is now the second time, the resolution centre has let me down badly.

Login to Me Too

Anita57
New Community Member
Why isn’t PayPal more helpful makes me feel like never using it again
Login to Me Too

tinalag
Contributor
Contributor
No luck. I purchased 3 pairs of shoes that turned out to be knock off when they were advertised as the real deal. They also sent 3 completely different colors that were smaller than the real ones. The seller was completely aware that it would cost more to return them than the value of the items so they offered $18 refund for my $57 items. I did not accept that offer because I did not know how much it would cost to ship back to China. From what I am reading here, I don’t dare ship back because I may spend just as much to return them and never receive my money. I just want these scammers to be stopped. I will never purchase from an Instagram add again. And why bother using PayPal? They were no help.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.