Any success with warranties on items being covered?

Packaroo12
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an ASUS motherboard around the beginning of April, and it was advertised as having a 90 Day manufacturers warranty.
In mid June it stopped working, and a local ASUS service center told me to mail it to their main repair center. For the next month they wouldn't give me any proper updates, until they finally told me it was because my warranty expired before I sent it in, even though the warranty should've had about 2 weeks left. 
So I tried contacting the seller through eBay and then tried eBay support, both told me the listing had expired so no help.
Finally I made a case with PayPal and the seller offered a partial refund (about 35% of the original cost), which I didn't think was great, so I checked the purchase protection to see if I was covered and found this entry; "The item is missing major parts or features and those facts were not disclosed in the description of the item when you bought it." which I assumed would cover warranties as a feature. 
So I escalated the case to a claim, which was closed in the sellers favor within a few hours, with a service agent I spoke to through online chat, saying it was closed automatically because, "warranties are not covered by PayPal buyer protection."

Since then I have spoken to five different agents, and three have told me that warranties are covered (with two opening the claim for review and the third saying she would contact the seller), despite the other two saying the aren't. 
One agent I spoke to insisted, that it is explicitly stated in the user agreement that warranties are not covered (this is false), and told me that, "Items being not as described is an inherent risk of buying online. So it is your responsibility to research properly before buying to make sure it is as described". I thought this was pretty strange since the main point of PayPal is to protect against those risks. She hung up shortly after for no apparent reason.

I have also had 4 agents promise to either call me back personally, or have a higher level agent call me, I have so far received 0 calls. 
Is PayPal customer service always this clunky? Has anyone had success with claims related to warranties on items? 
And is there any agent I can speak to, that won't just send the case to be reviewed, where the people who do that will find yet another way to say, "denied because warranties aren't covered"?

Thanks for any help
tl;dr 
Purchased item with a warranty, it broke, the warranty didn't work, now PayPal say's they won't cover it. Customer service is not great.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Packaroo12 

You shouldn't have mentioned warranties, you should have just said it stopped working when you opened a dispute for item received but not as described and then provided trackable proof of the return of the item.

Paypal does not cover warranties in the sense that a warranty may be for 2 years but paypal buyer protection is only for 180 days. BUT they will cover you for 'not as described' up to 180 days.

Just phone them back and say regardless of the warranty the item stopped working after 2 months, although sadly they cover you for 'item received but not as described' they don't cover you for it stopped working months down the line.

Paypal give you some buyer protection only and the rest is up to you to risk assess your transactions, you do have some options though.

1. If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then would your card issuer help you with a chargeback?

2. Can you take private legal action against the company under the sale of goods act or similar in your country?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.