Another victim of Shopto and unauthorized purchse via a paypal key I never created

chyhart
Contributor
Contributor

12/1 I check my bank and my stomach & heart sunk. An unknown purchase for $274 via Paypal and a negative account balance with a fee on the way had me in a right state of panic. I of course log into PayPal to investigate. I find the transaction and the only details are to an entity called "Shopto". Who/Whats that? It also says that the  method which the purchase was made was via a PayPal key... what is that?!?!  I start searching my text messages and email for anything from paypal. 11/29 Sunday, I received an email from Paypal saying "You're all set to shop with your PayPal Key". I dont often check my email on Sundays so this was not seen immediately.  Though, if i had, i'd have thought it was a new service PayPal was offering to its users and simply informing me of it. It doesn't indicate I or anyone initiated the set up for this key, just that it was now available to me. I received no text messages indicating this was initiated by someone other than myself, my phone or my browser. Unless i got hit with a phishing link with out knowing. Or my PayPal got hacked, or my email got hacked. Yahoo is sus . I'm the kind of person who recognizes those scams immediately and sends them off to the PayPal security team to investigate. I'm no fool in this regard, but yahoo email is not the best option.  (I have since changed linked emails and passwords to everything)  I had some sort of 2way authentication set up with my phone because when I tried to view the 16 digit passkey that was created, I was sent a text with a authentication code.. so i'm still in awe as to how this got set up and used with out my authentication. I didnt know what a passkey was, so i followed the prompts to see how it works and  read up on the details of this service. You have to actually choose which of your PayPal accounts you want it linked to.. And then copy and paste that 16 digit # where ever master card is accepted, it seems to be basically be a digital cash card.  Someone specifically made the choice to pick my checking account. If i had set this up, i'd have linked it to my PayPal line of credit.  A little bit of info about me to further prove my innocence in this. I have a large PayPal line of credit, that I have used for every large purchase i've made, it has same as cash financing so of course i'd use that. I have never used my checking account for large purchases not ever. In fact, I used my PayPal line of credit on the 1st to make a large and legitimate purchase for my wedding. Why would i have set up a key to link to my checking account, to use on a site i've never been to or shopped  at, resulting in over drafting me when i had available a large amount of credit and zero interest financing? 

I opened an investigation with the resolution center and 4 days later they decided this transaction is consistent with my purchase history. Consistent? Is a key that i have never used before, that was set up 2 days prior to use, and pinged my account on the 1st, twice, then made a large transaction on the 2nd consistent? I think no. As stated above, my large purchase history will show i have always used my paypal line of credit. Never draws on my checking. Is making a purchase with a brand new method, on a United kingdom based website i have never purchased from Consistent? I think no. This is also what the 2nd resolution guy agreed with me on when after near 2 hours of being on hold, finally got this case re-opened. Will see in 9 days what they say. I'm absolutely sick to my stomach about the whole thing.  When i Googled Shopto i found a bunch of PayPal community forum posts discussing unauthorized use of their accounts on that site and asking Paypal to please investigate that site.  I hope they are able to help me, that's a lot of $, and we're all hurting right now with Covid, and the holidays around the corner. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

chyhart
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal has finally resolved this and found the transaction to be unauthorized. The refund is on the way. Be persistent. Wait on hold, ask to talk to the resolution department. Be kind to the representatives, I know times like this emotions are running high,  they know this too and have always shown courtesy and solidarity with me. Sometimes they need an extra nudge to dig deeper and further investigate something. It almost seems like the initial resolution investigation was almost done via computer algorithms and spit out a response. The 2nd time took a lot longer like they actually had a person looking into it for real. I appreciate that they did. I hope they are able to find out how this is happening. I wish I knew how it happened to me. Best advice - check your email often,  always log into your money accounts to view any info that doesnt stand out as something you've done, even if it feels like a generic company email - check it~ I think having caught this so soon  really helped. I hope who ever is doing this gets caught and faces punishment. I didn't think i'd get to Christmas shop this year, but i get to now, better late than never! 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

Briannad474
New Community Member
This exact thing is happening to me as well, except I can’t even dispute the charge in the resolution center. Says “this type of transaction cannot be disputed.” I deleted the key and whoever made it is still trying to use it. There’s the transaction to ShopTo for $274 as well as multiple transactions to itch io-game store for $5. Can’t get in touch with a real human to see what’s going on. This is infuriating.
Login to Me Too

chyhart
Contributor
Contributor

it wont let you dispute it via the options online? You'll have to do the song and dance of being on hold for an hour and a half probably. I really want ot know HOW this stupid paypal key even got put on my account with a security code being sent to my phone, an email stating someone logged in from another device.. i mean i try to log in from my work computer and its all crazy wanting tons of verification.. so HOW does this happen? I was extra frustrated they dismissed it so quickly. Change your email passwords, your paypal passwords, go into your paypal security settings and remove authorizations just in case. Like my account was authorized to be used from my google account. And i had like 1 step quick access turned on, i got rid of all that too. Right now i dont trust the security of PayPal, and that's a shame. 

Login to Me Too

chyhart
Contributor
Contributor

also, how do you know who ever created it is still trying to use it? Damn i'm so glad i caught this after only one charge, albeit a large one 

Login to Me Too

lannmartinez
Contributor
Contributor

SAME!!! Just got an email saying CONGRATS on the paypal Key.. WHAT? and a $274.00 charge to who??? Absolutely not. Never heard of ShopTo. As a single mom who is now unemployed fixing to start school in the spring, I will not be haggling with paypal over "consistent" charges  when they clearly know this is a breech of some sort. I've changed my password and deleted this key. I cant even dispute the charge because it's still pending and can't get anyone to answer through paypal. SERENITY NOW!!!

Login to Me Too

chyhart
Contributor
Contributor

It was still showing as pending on my banks end when i disputed it through the resolution center. I talked to someone too and they helped me remove the key from my account. After the initial decline of resolution i called back, set up the "call me back " feature so as to not lose my place in line. About 20 minutes later their customer service called me and could not help me, she transferred me directly to the resolution center. Where i stayed on hold for over 1.5 hours before i finally got a person. Maybe you can ask to be directly transferred to the resolution center? They can't sit here and pretend this **bleep** legit when its happening to others and tons of evidence says otherwise. They are still investigating the 2nd go around, i have not yet received an update since reopening the dispute. But $300 right from my my checking account effed my christmas shopping plans. And i'm not putting anything on my paypal credit while i'm dealing with this, eff that. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

chyhart
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal has finally resolved this and found the transaction to be unauthorized. The refund is on the way. Be persistent. Wait on hold, ask to talk to the resolution department. Be kind to the representatives, I know times like this emotions are running high,  they know this too and have always shown courtesy and solidarity with me. Sometimes they need an extra nudge to dig deeper and further investigate something. It almost seems like the initial resolution investigation was almost done via computer algorithms and spit out a response. The 2nd time took a lot longer like they actually had a person looking into it for real. I appreciate that they did. I hope they are able to find out how this is happening. I wish I knew how it happened to me. Best advice - check your email often,  always log into your money accounts to view any info that doesnt stand out as something you've done, even if it feels like a generic company email - check it~ I think having caught this so soon  really helped. I hope who ever is doing this gets caught and faces punishment. I didn't think i'd get to Christmas shop this year, but i get to now, better late than never! 

Login to Me Too

Eforeman
Contributor
Contributor
Should i let the dispute email do its thing or should i call? I need This resolved ASAP.
Login to Me Too

Cky1
Contributor
Contributor
Happened to me too on Saturday. My claim was closed, so waiting for them to open so I can reopen the claim. Interesting that all of our amounts seem to be for about the same amount. Mine was $276. Makes things more complicated that the company is in the UK. I was mag’ing with them tonight and they said I must go through PayPal, not through them. In circles we go. My payment was pending when I originally reported it, you would think the claim would not let it complete, but now it’s authorized. 😒
Login to Me Too

Eforeman
Contributor
Contributor
It happened to me too! I dont Own a gaming system or anything. I started getting emails Sunday saying thanks for my purchase from shopto in the amount of $189.99. I’m like WTF? So i checked my actually PayPal account and saw that something called a PayPal key was used. I’ve never used a PayPal key or i immediately turned it off. I also saw a couple of transactions for another merchant called Xsolla for 49.99 a piece. Come to find out from Xsolla someone with an email not matching my PayPal account made the purchase. And they are supposed to be issuing a refund. However, i cant Find anyone to reach out to from Shopto. They don’t have an email so I’ve started a dispute with PayPal and hopefully they’ll get it resolved. I’ve never had an issue with my account and I research websites to see if they are safe when it comes to Online shopping. So this is nerve wrecking for me. I did some research and it seems like whomever this is doing the fraudulent charges is doing them here recently in December. I just Need my money back. I’m also calling my bank and getting my card changed. This is so horrible. I have Bills to pay! It’s just evil for someone to do this
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.