Am I required to return?

arwenfair
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a claim which was decided in my favour. There was no further information other than that I would receive a refund. I understand with disputes I am required to return the item, but as the seller did not respond to the dispute, resulting in escalation and a decision in my favour I feel like the path is unclear. Am I obliged to return in this instance? Further to this, if I don't have to return the item I'm not sure what I am allowed to do with it- as I don't want to keep it, (the item is second hand clothing listed in an incorrect size and I had already paid for the original shipping costs which will not be refunded), would I be entitled to sell this on (this feels questionable, however I don't really know what else to do with it, as I don't want to just get rid of it for environmental reasons etc.)?  The seller has been rude and unhelpful, and reneged on an offer to refund in exchange for proof of the incorrect sizing (item listed as UK 6 but was US 6- UK 10), hence going through the lengthy dispute process. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@arwenfair 

If paypal have not told you to return it and not given you a return address then normally you don't have to as the seller did not respond.

BUT i would double check first in case its a glitch.

If its not and they do refund and you have the item then you can contact the seller and say that if they want their item back you are happy to send it but require the postage costs within 14 days or it will be disposed of.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.
Freephone from a UK landline or UK mobile number.
OR
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@arwenfair 

If paypal have not told you to return it and not given you a return address then normally you don't have to as the seller did not respond.

BUT i would double check first in case its a glitch.

If its not and they do refund and you have the item then you can contact the seller and say that if they want their item back you are happy to send it but require the postage costs within 14 days or it will be disposed of.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.
Freephone from a UK landline or UK mobile number.
OR
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

arwenfair
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Thanks for the help! I rang PayPal today and they have confirmed that I am not obliged to return the item to the Depop seller.

My only query now is what to do with it. I have contacted the seller letting them know that I am happy to return if they pay for the shipping, but have not received a response yet. Should I not get a response on this front, I don't want to dispose of/donate the trousers as they are good quality and those are pretty bad options environmentally, which as a rule I don't do with clothes I have no need for. As I normally sell on clothes that I don't need (as I like to know that they are guaranteed to go to someone who wants them and there is therefore minimal waste), I don't really know if this is a fair option here as I have already been refunded for the costs of these? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.