Am I done for?

CameronStewart
Contributor
Contributor

I recently bought a service from someone through discord. Our agreement was €40 for 1 month, and in return he would send me the service. The service is an electronic file and discord allows free sending of this stuff. I paid him through friends and family as he advised me this would take off a "fee" and I went along with it. 

I paid the money and right after, he blocked communication with me. I made an effort to communicate with him by creating new accounts and adding him and his reasoning seems to be that I didn't actually send him the money and that I was wasting his time. Even though after I told him I sent him the money he wrote "okay packing the files". I am just wondering is there any chance I will get this money back as neither of us signed a contract? 

I have disputed this through the resolution centre but they only allowed me to dispute "Unauthorized Access" does this mean I have no chance?

Thanks, Cameron

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CameronStewart

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. That is also why you would be unable to open a dispute apart from an unauthorised transaction (if your account was hacked and used without your consent which of course doesn't apply in your case).

You also risk having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods as its against Paypal rules.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately again as it was a 'gift' of money they may decline as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

CameronStewart
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the answer, so there is no way paypal can help me? I have screenshots of our agreement and him blocking me right after.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.