Already Hacked

TalstonMorior
New Community Member

Opened this account a week ago.  It is connected to my bank account and debit card and I have a paypal mastercard attached to it.  One week.  I came home to an email that my Lyft charge in San Jose California had already been approved.  I dont live in San Jose.  Never been to San Jose.  So I have already had to call and have the paypal mastercard cancelled.  Now I see that an attempt to draw over $525 was denied.  I am glad it was denied, but with an account open for only 1 week I have a fraudulent charge, AND an attempt to withdraw money from my account!  Should I be disconnecting my bank account information?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi TalstonMorior,

I'm very sorry to hear that your account was compromised. Typically, this happens one of three ways:

• The same password is used on PayPal is being used on other, less secure websites, and one of these other websites was compromised
  • The computer used to log in has been compromised with malware or a virus
  • A fake email was received and the link inside was used to log in, compromising the account

In these cases, the best option is to immediately change your password and ensure it's secure and different from any other websites you access. I would also advise running a virus scan on your computer to check for any kind of issues. Hopefully this information helps!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.