Advice about an issue with an online purchase (PayPal refund)

Dolls408
New Community Member

I ordered some custom printed posters from a website and paid via PayPal.  The posters came (from an address in OR) and they'd been printed wrong (the custom printed names were in the wrong spot and not even visible (white on light background). Ok, then I opened a dispute and PayPal is telling me that I have to return the items... to VIETNAM.  It costs $130 to ship the item back. The items cost a total of $75.  To add insult to injury, this is a custom product that was botched, so it's of no use to anyone.  I would be paying $130 to mail trash across the globe.  

The worst part is, I think this is a scam.  I think they use an international address on purpose to discourage people from looking for refunds.  How on earth could they have sold me this for $75 when shipping costs are double that?  I am hesitant to contact PayPal because I just know I'm going to get the runaround "there's nothing we can do, you have to send it back".  I don't suppose there is any way to get ahold of someone with common sense at PayPal to help me out?

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.  The thought of being out $75 to these buttholes isn't sitting well with me.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dolls408 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dolls408 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.