Account suspended with >10k mostly in crypto currency - help

Loreange86
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I am an american employee working outside of the country. I kept using my US paypal account from outside the us, all my transactions were made from my US bank. Fo some reason I kept having my account flagged and eventually they suspended it. I called and they gave me zero help, not even the reason for the suspension. All my money is earned in the US and taxed, my accout is legit, how can I be heard from Paypal, I feel like there is noone on the other side 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Loreange86 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts / cancel any subscriptions and close the old Paypal account before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

You can however add a U.S bank account (not card) to 'most' other countries paypal accounts. This is because paypal is a U.S company and so allows this.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Loreange86 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts / cancel any subscriptions and close the old Paypal account before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

You can however add a U.S bank account (not card) to 'most' other countries paypal accounts. This is because paypal is a U.S company and so allows this.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Sruzzi
Contributor
Contributor
Are you able to withdraw the money? I am having the same issue now all the money in crypto currency and I can’t even sell it
Login to Me Too

Phpatel007
Contributor
Contributor
I have the same situation. August 4, 2021 was the 180 day lockout period end date and they still haven't emailed me and given me any sort of direction on how I can retrieve my funds.
Login to Me Too

Aaron1001
Contributor
Contributor
Me too! I simply had a stimulus payment deposited and bought crypto to hold. I then login from outside the US where I live and go to school, and account gets locked for six months. They wouldn’t say anything, and then after 7 months they allowed me to request reinstatement when I just wanted to close it and be done with PayPal forever. They reinstated it, only to shut it down again literally 20 minutes later. Absolutely absurd to think people will stay in boxes and start new accounts when they work and live abroad. They’re not preventing fraud or stopping terrorism, they’re simply living in the 1900’s. Ridiculous because now again I need to wait six months….I doubt it.
Login to Me Too

Sruzzi
Contributor
Contributor
My money has been in crypto over 6 months already they didn’t allow me to sell they told me there is nothing they can do about it that my account is permanently ban.. imagine PayPal is fraud they keep holding on to peoples money this is a criminal act I need my money to pay for bills they want me to be homeless. I have over $8,000 in crypto they didn’t allow me to sell or withdraw my money. I have all evidence to back my money up. They won’t listen nor gave me a reasonable answer. I am tired if there is a way I can sue PayPal I will right now.
Login to Me Too

Aaron1001
Contributor
Contributor
Try filing complaint with BBB, or yes, pursue legal action. They’re just holding onto people assets without even telling them why.
Login to Me Too

Phpatel007
Contributor
Contributor
In somewhat positive news I was able to withdraw my balance after calling 4x every week. The issue now is that I have 50x what I had in my balance in crypto and I’m still waiting for that review process to be completed so I can sell and move funds to my balance.
Login to Me Too

Aaron1001
Contributor
Contributor
Exactly! They just keep making up reasons to hold money, and crypto. Ironically, their requirement for having a PayPal account in every country you’re living in just increases potential fraud and other undesirable activities. Imagine being an investigator and finding 25 accounts in different countries for one person.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.