Account locked for being underaged, $400 stuck in balance - what can I do?

Foxzes
Contributor
Contributor

I'm 17 (18 in September) and PayPal, after years of me using it, finally realised that.

Because I run my own services & take commission work on various platforms, I needed a simple service to collect and spend this money, so obviously I went to PayPal.

Anyhow, obviously, I'd like my money back, so what can I do?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Foxzes 

Paypal does not allow account holders under the age of 18.
PayPal asks for a birth date when you register so whilst you can make a PayPal account with false information the account will need to be verified to accept funds into your balance or lift any limits.
As you would be unable to verify your account it would be locked for further use.
Minors can’t enter legal contracts so you won’t have any recourse to get your money back until you were 18 unless Paypal were happy to release it to a parent or guardian for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Foxzes
Contributor
Contributor

I am okay with them holding my money, as mentioned I turn 18 soon enough. My concern is that by allowing the money to sit unaccounted for until then that I'll accidentally lose eligibility for any sort of withdrawals.

If the money won't disappear via any means, I'll wait until I'm 18. Otherwise, do you know how I could attempt to initiate a withdrawal to a parent's bank account / paypal?

Thanks for the help, by the way.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Foxzes 

The money should stay there unless there are any disputes raised against you.

You would need to ask c.s. about transferring to a parents account.

Click help / contact bottom left of Paypal pages for options available for your country.

Or have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Foxzes
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

I just said I'm 18 though, I'm asking how I can ask now that I'm 18. Do I call them?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.