Account limited/blocked living in a different country

DiSoP
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone! Let me explain my problem with Paypal as, after more than two months, I now see no other solutions besides legal action. You are my last hope! 🙂

My account has been first limited and then blocked as I live in a different country from the one I was living when I signed up (fair enough, my bad for not knowing this). After some emails, Paypal finally replies that I need to prove my new residency, and create a new account with the correct country (which per se is quite bizarre). The transfer of the free balance should have been the last step. Result: new residency proved, new account created and Paypal decides to delete both the new and the original account.

Confused I tried to reach out to Paypal again asking to transfer the balance to my verified bank account. After one month, they invited me to upload again all documentation to prove my new residency and asked for explanation of some transactions (transfer of own funds to and from a regulated EU broker). That time I was confident the procedure would be successful. Result: all documents were positively verified and explanations accepted but my account is temporarily limited again, asking me to prove again my residency in the country I am not living anymore. Absolutely nonsense. I asked again for explanations as it is not possible for me to complete the automatic procedure but no anwers.

As the customer service is not reachable, I have been sending different emails to Paypal and proved my new residency countless times but when they have the decency to reply, I only get automatic replies and completely inconsistent. I am really tired of the situation and they claim they could keep my funds for 180 days before transferring them. Having worked for financial institutions, I know that Paypal does not have any ground to hold my funds and refuse to transfer them (no compliance, no tax, no AML, etc.) and I have also asked to get in touch with a manager handling complaints but, again, no answers. 

Now, I understand that the situation right now is not easy also for Paypal but after almost three months I really expected to solve the issue and I am shocked by the lack of attention to the client needs. As the amount is material and I need to live off it, I think I am going to ask a lawyer to follow me and in any case I am gonna file a complaint with the CSSF (authority for financial markets and institutions in Luxembourg).

I am short of other ideas and it is driving me crazy that I cannot get any answers or talk to someone sensible in Paypal. Do you have any other ideas on how I should proceed to fix this? 🙂

P.S. I live in Luxembourg and I also told them I can pass by their office to settle everything but, you know.. no answers 😂

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.