Account hacked and money stolen

Katinafrica
Contributor
Contributor

My account was hacked on the 10th January by a person claiming to be from Boosta Ltd. He managed to withdraw money from both my credit cards before the banks noticed suspicious activity and blocked the accounts. I reported the issue to PayPal and nothing happened. I was ignored for 20 days. They did finally respond by limiting my account for 15 days. They then ignored my emails again. 

One bank refunded me and everything is sorted(I hope) but the other was sent an email by PayPal demanding $40 be paid to them from my account. I am now $40 short and PayPal today decided to respond to my emails by telling me that the transaction to Boosta was authorized. IT WAS NOT. After at least 100 emails they do not grasp the fact that the money was stolen. I guess they have given my money back to the criminal or kept for themselves. I have now spent time looking at reviews of PayPal and apparently I was silly to ever think I would get my money back. It seems that stealing from those who trust PayPal is normal practice. Please, tell me...should I even bother trying to get this money back or am I just a victim of crime by a big corporate?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Katinafrica 

Check if you had a subscription set up...
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ofarooq
Contributor
Contributor

My PayPal was hacked on Feb 25th, 2019. The hacker did 12 transactions on some Russian website OZON.RU and pulled money from my bank, and then closed my account . I contacted Customer Service they reversed 11 transactions and not sure why they didn't do all 12. I inquired but they had no answer.
I asked why I didn't receive any notification of account getting closed? they had no answer. I asked for my balance on the account they asked me to create a new account and they will transfer the balance on the new account.

I created new account and within 2 days it was on permanent limitation, I called an inquired again they said may be because your email is linked with two accounts? how is that possible when one was already closed by the hacker. I was following up o these 2 accounts and the balances on them for 3 week , when yesterday the limited my another account...
How am I suppose to do business? my cards are linked and now I cannot have an account.
Illogically limiting accounts and when they were suppose to identify the hacker on my account they were not able too.

I am emailing calling them daily since Feb 25, following up on 3 accounts now and balances on them.. but no answer or satisfactory answer.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ofarooq 

Paypal is 'country specific' so advice often depends on what country you are in. As you have not added your country to your community profile or said in your post then we can't help at the moment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ofarooq
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Country is United Arab Emirates

Thank you

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ofarooq 

have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.