Account hacked and in spanish

gertiecat51
Contributor
Contributor

My account has been hacked, changed to spanish and I can't get anyone on the phone.  I am not able to file a dispute online and I can't change it to English.  $1000.00 has been taken from my bank.  How can I speak to a live person to get this rectified?

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@gertiecat51 

if you were hacked......

Click on the transaction in your paypal account and use the 'report a problem' link at the bottom to report it as unauthorised if that is what it was.

An unauthorised transaction means that your Paypal account was hacked and used without your consent.
If Paypal check IP addresses / devices etc and find that it was hacked then yes you should receive your refund.

I hope you changed your password and security questions?
I hope you ran a virus scan on your computer?
I would also be telling my card issuers and bank accounts company that the account was hacked so that they can keep an eye on your account OR remove the financial info involved until things are sorted.

Paypal phones are mostly non operational since covid but sometimes you get lucky.
If there is one available it will show when you click help / contact bottom left of Paypal pages for options available in your country.
Live chat is randomly available.
You can send them a message.
Or have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Marleen73
Contributor
Contributor

This exact thing happen to me last night as well.  PayPal will not let me delete the bank account or report a dispute via the resolution.  I had to keep going in and out of the account to get it back to English and the money was taken from my bank account.  PayPal is letting this happen with no real security or customer service.  Both PayPal and the bank are telling me up to 10 days to get my money back but yet they will let the money get snatched in less then a 24 hour period. A dispute with absolutely no details was created via the messaging but again with no detail or urgency.  PayPal is a multi-million company using Covid to not answer the phones and immediately assists with fraud is BS.   Many customer service people are working from home for much smaller companies.

Login to Me Too

gertiecat51
Contributor
Contributor

So flipping frustrating!  I am so thankful my bank was able to rectify this in a few hours!  My banker said they have been seeing a lot of this...one person had $9500.00 taken from their account!

Lesson learned, change passwords regularly (and Learn Spanish!)

Login to Me Too

gertiecat51
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!

I was able to get a hold of my bank and they rectified everything, set up a new bank account and pulled the money back from PayPal....I was finally able to get the language back to English and have, of course, changed all passwords and any account associated with PayPal.  PayPal is now bombarding me with emails and texts about suspected account fraud....well, no **bleep**!  I have been trying to contact someone for two days with no response (other than here...which I thank you for!).  Needless to say....If I use a pay app, it will now be Venmo or the CashApp.

As an aside...I am trying to figure out how this hack would work?  Hacker gets into my account, switches the language to Spanish, adds a new phone number and makes it primary (but doesn't confirm it), a Payment Confirmation email shows up in Spanish in my inbox (which I delete, thinking it's spam) and $1000 is moved from my bank to my PayPal account (I think) on pay day?  How would people not notice this?

Login to Me Too

TonyaMShaffer
It won't let me since I'm "receiving money" .... From my bank account!!
Login to Me Too

Libby79
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me also.  I just discovered it today, but a couple of weeks ago $1000 was transferred from my savings account to paypal.  I tried to report it but because it's from my bank account to my paypal account I was unable to report it.  I sent up a transfer back to my bank account.  Hopefully this goes through.  I will disconnect (hopefully) my account from my bank after that transaction is completed.  

Login to Me Too

kmw251

Exact same thing happened to me.  They cleaned out my PayPal balance onto some visa card, then put in a $1,000 pending transaction against my bank account.  Oh and I got the spanish treatment too, took me forever to fix.  I put in a claim against the transaction to clean out my account, but an agent said I have to deal with my bank on the pending $1,000 transaction.  This is ridiculous that they don't have a real person we can talk to about this... super frustrating!

Login to Me Too

MoodyBloos
Contributor
Contributor

Same here! I just discovered it last night when I went to check something on my account after months of not using Paypal for anything. I had a hell of a time getting into my account to change things. I couldn't log on at first because they said I gave the wrong answers to my security questions (unlikely that I forgot my mother's maiden name!) and the option to send a text had a different phone number showing. It wouldn't let me change to my actual phone number. Finally I had to enter my phone number as a new number and was able to get the text then. 

I was on the phone last night for an hour with my bank and again this morning for at least 20 minutes. They are working on getting the $1000 back into my account. I never was able to get hold of a live person with Paypal last night or this morning but was able to file a dispute against the $20 transfer through the automated system. As soon as all this is resolved I'm closing my Paypal account for good.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.