Account got hacked and i've lost all of my £355.93 uni spending money

Vanillacandle
Contributor
Contributor

Just before I arrived home after half a day on a train to get back to uni from my actual house I found said that 2 purchases had been made to Omnyex digital goods, £259.95 & £95.98, from my debit card which is attached to my paypal. I don't even know what Omnyex is but apparently since the payments were unauthorised I am not able to claim refunds on this fraud EVEN THOUGH it says very clearly that unauthorised transactions will be refunded on paypal's own support section -

account protection.png

wtf kind of joke is this ?

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Vanillacandle,

I'm sorry to hear that there was unauthorized activity in your account. Have you reported the unauthorised transactions? If so, what was the outcome?

Thank you!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Vanillacandle
Contributor
Contributor

Yes of course I did, twice in fact, and both times my claims have been denied so I guess ima go hungry until February 😐

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Vanillacandle,

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear in my question. What was the reason given for the decision on the claim?

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Vanillacandle
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently the 'decision was made because this transaction was not unauthorised.' 

I didn't authorise any of the payments though ?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Vanillacandle,

Is there any possibility that there was someone else who used your computer or device without your knowledge? If your computer or mobile device has the password saved and someone else used it to make the transactions, it would look to PayPal like you had made the transactions. Similarly, if there is malware on your computer or someone was able to get access to your local wifi, that might also look like you had made the transactions. Do any of these scenarios seem likely to you?

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Vanillacandle
Contributor
Contributor

The only thing I can think of is a malware because I've been using various softwares to run old games from 1998-2003 on windows 10 and one executable may have been compromised. Did it on my laptop and so I completely wiped it 2 minutes after I got my paypal hacked.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Vanillacandle,

That presents a difficult situation because the fraudster may have been able to successfully hide their activity within your own activity. Please contact customer service again and let a representative know that you believe that the activity may have been a result of malware on your computer and you've since wiped the computer that you access PayPal with. See if they can do a deeper dive into the activity with that knowledge and see what they can see. With that information, they may potentially be able to see something that wasn't seen before. It's worth a try!

To contact customer service, please click Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website for available options, or reach out by PM on Facebook or DM on Twitter.

I hope this does the trick!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Vanillacandle
Contributor
Contributor

I've already had my claims denied twice and I gave the full reasons as to why it happened both times so I really can't be bothered to put any more effort into this losing battle since it's clear paypal doesn't wanna give me a refund. Biochem tests are coming up so I'd much rather put my time to better use 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.