Account Limited

bhobba
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I got a message from Paypal that my account is limited and I need to provide a photo and a receipt to fix it.   I personally do not have a photo of me, but can get one if required, and I most certainly have no receipt for anything I ever bought using Paypal.   I have tried to ring Paypal about this but cant get onto them.  What else can I do. 

Thanks

Bill

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

Robyntzu
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same problem. I have sent a message and also tried to call and I am endlessly on hold. I also forwarded the email I received to Paypal phishing as I thought it was a scam email. I cannot use my account until I register photo ID and provide a purchase receipt from a supplier???? I am not a seller and cannot skip this step. Why can't they just leave things alone or at least advise they need information before just blocking your account. Not happy!

Login to Me Too

intersite
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here, absolutely ridiculous. My feeling is a Paypal have done some kind of “upgrade” thats gone completely wrong. I bet they are saturated with support requests today.

really puts me off Paypal, i couldnt even complete a simple £7.99 transaction last night because of this issue.

the resolution centre was initially asking for 5 things in order to get paypal to start reviewing unlocking my account, i filled 2 out, suddenly, instead of 3 remaining to complete, it dropped to 1?? So now im left with the supplier invoice one to complete, which when clicking Resolve doesnt always do anything? Definitely a bug there.

in any event, i am not a business/merchant, i dont procure goods from suppliers to sell on, so what the heck is that all about? All i use paypal for is buying things from ebay and websites plus the occasional selling of my own items i no longer want on ebay!

Login to Me Too

bhobba
Contributor
Contributor

I did a longer reply but it is not even appearing.   Basically I guesses the same as you - some technical issue such as an upgrade that went wrong.   I was a senior programmer/analyst/team leader for over 30 years and this has all the hallmarks of a release control failure ie insufficient testing before release and/or not released properly.   Will add more thoughts if this message goes through.

Thanks

Bill

Login to Me Too

Robyntzu
Contributor
Contributor

After spending over an hour on hold I finally just spoke to someone (who had limited english). She wasn't really able to explain to me why I received the email and why my account was limited without any prior notification. I only found out this morning when I went to purchase something on line that my account was "limited" (blocked). I have lost all faith in Paypay with the security of my account and how they are doing things. I was advised it can take up to 5 business days to get their Compliance people to remove the part about providing a receipt as I am not a seller. I'm now hesitant to upload photo ID as I no longer trust Paypal. She told me it's an Australian Government requirement. It would be much more simple if they said that when they sent an email. Thinking of closing my account. 

Login to Me Too

bhobba
Contributor
Contributor

Its comforting to hear someone else with the same problem.  I am not happy either.  You cant get through on the phone so as advised you use their messaging system.  However it sucks.   You go through it and all it says is - sorry cant retrieve required information.   It would not surprise me if they are having technical issues.   I worked as a senior programmer for over 30 years and you get a feel when something is not working properly.   This has all the hallmarks of it eg cant get through on the phone and messages saying cant retrieve information.   They can easily help the situation by having a live chat facility like most other organisations do - they are trying to be too smart by half in their automation.   And that is from a guy that has designed and built countless computer system before I retired.   Rule number 1 - KISS - keep it simple stupid.

I looked it up on Redit and tons of others had the same problem - here is the usual resolution - 'I called both the PayPal service number and ebay number. all issues were solved over the phone thats the most effective way'.   So it looks like we are stuck on trying to ring them.

Thanks

Bill

Login to Me Too

Robyntzu
Contributor
Contributor

There was no admission that there was a technical problem. That was the answer I was hoping for. I agree, their messaging system is atrocious. It leads you to believe it is a chat service which it isn't. It's a total shambles.

Login to Me Too

intersite
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed, that chat system is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. Total waste of time.

just tried calling them and was on for ages in a queue, ive given up.

apparently a Tweet from Paypal has surfaced saying its a known problem and that it should be resolved in 25-48 hours but i will believe when i see it. Dont take that as 100% accurate.

Login to Me Too

intersite
Contributor
Contributor

typo, meant 24 hours

Login to Me Too

Robyntzu
Contributor
Contributor

It would have good if the call centre had of told me that instead of it's a government requirement to have photo ID on your account. I'm not providing anything at this point. I don't feel anything with them is secure. I was on hold for well over an hour before I got to speak to someone and I'm really still no further ahead.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.