Account Limited - No resolution option

Trishabon
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email yesterday informing me that my account is permanently limited because I am in violation of the acceptable usage policy!! I have spent almost two hours going through the site, reading, re-reading t&c's trying to find a link to establish what I have done, but I keep on ending up back at the same place, none the wiser... I do not have many transactions, I do not have large amounts of money being sent to me. I am not using my personal account for business transactions. And the only thing that I understand is that PayPal has a right to close my account and make me wait for 180 days for my money! I am not even sure if this is a scam because when I tried to log in I got a phishing warning from avast.

Any advice would be appreciated.screenshotscreenshot

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Check the sender of the email to see if it is officially from PayPal. See if it matches up with the email addresses on previous official emails from PayPal that you have, if you have any still in your email inbox.

When you log in to your PayPal Account (without clicking any links, by going direct to PayPal site), do you see any cases open in your Resolution Center? If not, then there is no issue with your PayPal Account and it was a phishing attempt. Delete the fake email.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Trishabon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and sadly it is a genuine email... No resolution option. No explanation. I have been using paypal for about 5 years to make online purchases. For the past few months a few of my friends have been helping me financially as I am unable to work due to a back injury. So much more convenient than bank transfers. I was devastated when I got the email from PayPal. Especially as it came with no explanation, no option for resolution and I have to wait 6 months for the money in my account to be paid out... €180 may not be much  in the grand scheme of things, but it's a lot when someone is in my position, 60 years old, not familiar with technology and struggling to survive. I am aware that you are not able to do anything but people should be aware that this can happen to anyone and never know why.

Of course I did read the T&Cs before choosing this option when it was recommended. I believed that PayPal was a reputable company and never would have expected this. I guess we live and learn.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Trishabon wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and sadly it is a genuine email... No resolution option. No explanation. I have been using paypal for about 5 years to make online purchases. For the past few months a few of my friends have been helping me financially as I am unable to work due to a back injury. So much more convenient than bank transfers. I was devastated when I got the email from PayPal. Especially as it came with no explanation, no option for resolution and I have to wait 6 months for the money in my account to be paid out... €180 may not be much  in the grand scheme of things, but it's a lot when someone is in my position, 60 years old, not familiar with technology and struggling to survive. I am aware that you are not able to do anything but people should be aware that this can happen to anyone and never know why.

Of course I did read the T&Cs before choosing this option when it was recommended. I believed that PayPal was a reputable company and never would have expected this. I guess we live and learn.

I am wondering why they decided to permanently suspend your account. PayPal security system can get quite weird sometimes. There is nothing in your explanation to suggest anything suspicious you've done. So you weren't doing anything but just got an email one day that your account was permanently limited? It is not unheard of where users receive an email and when they log into their account there is no open Resolution Cases open. 

Can you also check the email header to see if there are any weird domain name or email address there? Sometimes even real email address can be used as an alias but when you check the header it can be fake. 

If there are not traces of any issues in the bell icon on your summary page or in the resolution center, I think that email is fake. Try forwarding the email to spoof at PayPal dot com and see what PayPal say.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.