Account Limitations and 180 Hold

ExMarcs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paypal Community, I wanted to bring up and issue in regards to not my account but my girlfriends account.

My girlfriend made a paypal account a while back under her online Alias name so that people wouldn't know her real name when they went to send her money for commission art and stuff. She wasn't able to get a bank account until recently in order to move the money from her paypal to her bank. However, due to how Paypal was setup, it wasn't under her legal birth name and as a result, she cannot provide the documents to verify her identity. She has tried to request an update name change and legal name change, along with change her name with a the misspelling to reflect at least her first name. However, she got the response from paypal saying that

You can't use PayPal anymore

At PayPal, we value a safe community for our customers to do business. We noticed activity in your account that’s inconsistent with our USER AGREEMENT and we no longer offer you PayPal services.

Any bank or credit card information linked to your PayPal account cannot be removed nor can it be used to create a new account. You can still log in and see your account information but you can’t send or receive money. Any money in your balance will be held for 180 days, after which we’ll send you an email with instructions about transferring your money.

Reference ID: PP-L-251061354532

She is stressing out in trying to get this lifted however paypal does not want to help in changing her name at all and saying that she would have needed to make a new account and have the people send the money to that paypal account instead. However, she has already given the people who paid her, her services and it is almost impossible to get all the people to resend money to the new paypal account. She just wants to obtain her money from her account but she cannot due to the account limitations and she cannot wait 180 days cause she fears Paypal will delete her account and she will never get the money; thus feeling like she did everything for free. (She has over $700 in her account that is just sitting there)

Please is there something else that we can do in order to get this lifted? I really am at a lost and after reviewing the User Agreements, we did not violate it at all. This just shows me that Paypal doesn't officially care about their customers and people and doesn't want to have to deal/take into consideration the situations people are faced in. (

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ExMarcs 

Sorry but she did violate the user agreement, she set up a legal. financial account in a FAKE name.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#restricted-activities

• Provide false, inaccurate or misleading information;

The funds in that account belong to the person with that 'fake' name and who can provide legal documentation that it is their legal name otherwise the funds do not belong to you.

The account ban is permanent, the 180 days applies to the release of funds to anyone over 18 who's account is in their legal name so very unlikely she will ever get that money.

You can only change a name on a paypal account for 2 minor character errors OR for legal reasons ie marriage but NOT for changing a fake name to a legal name...the one she should have had on the account from the start. Would she open a bank account in a fake name? If not then why would she open a Paypal account with one !

The advice from paypal is correct, she would have to ask her buyers to open a dispute to get the funds back and then sent to a legally opened account in her legal name.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ExMarcs
Contributor
Contributor
Then explain to me, why does Paypal give the option to update name? Whats the point of the update name option/legal name option if that cannot be utilized? The first name now reflects the her first name but the last name does not and as a result she has requested for them to update/change the name but seems like they have denied it in the past as if the option of changing the name isnt true? Lile what if she had a name change in the future, a last name change lets say, could she not have changed her “legal name” or “update name” because its not her given birth name? How rediculous is that oh “esteemed advisor”
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ExMarcs 

Guess you didn't bother to read my post.

The update name option is there to correct 2 'character' errors in a name OR for legal reasons ie marriage.

How ridiculous is it that someone opens a legal financial account in a fake name oh 'contributor'.

I gave you the FACTS sadly not the intelligence to either understand those facts OR the common sense not to open a legal account in a fake name in the first place so I guess abuse to someone stating the facts is your only remedy isn't it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.