Account Hacked

247arlene
New Community Member

Someone got into my account and changed it from a personal account to a business account, added their name, address and phone number and I've been trying to reach someone and I cannot.  How can I reach someone since this is identity theft.

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@247arlene 

Paypal phones are mostly non operational since covid but sometimes you get lucky.
If there is one available it will show when you click help / contact bottom left of Paypal pages for options available in your country.
Live chat is randomly available.
You can send them a message.
Or have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

zorellana
Contributor
Contributor

this just happened to me as well and I'm receiving emails in French. Did you get this resolved? 

Login to Me Too

palegirl
Contributor
Contributor

Same happened to me. $1000 transfer to an account I did not create. Same scenario with SSN / Business ID. I changed password, added 2 step authentification, changed security questions. 

I called my bank and they said the transfer has not gone through the on the bank side and to keep checking every day. 

Login to Me Too

zorellana
Contributor
Contributor

was this recent? The legal business name listed on my hacked account is Adam <removed>

Login to Me Too

CDAVIS23
Contributor
Contributor

This exact same thing happened to me 9/12/2020 and I just realized the transaction this morning as it hit my bank account. The person who initiated it was VU <removed>. They changed my personal account to a business account. They payment already processed from my bank account so the money is GONE. I have been trying to contact Paypal but obviously that is a lost cause. When I try to file a claim through the HELP feature, it says I cannot file a claim because I am "receiving" the money. How is that possible? Will the money be taken from my bank account and deposited to my OWN PayPal account? Will I then be able to get it before the scammer will? I am desperate for customer service to STOP this transaction but no one will respond to the CHAT feature. 

Can anyone offer any advice?   I have changed all my passwords, added two-step identification, etc. I have worked with my bank to hold all activity on my checking account, etc.   I find it interesting that on the "HELP" site for PAYPAL, it states that you cannot change a personal account to a business account without speaking to a Customer support person to do a manual change. However, this hacker had NO PROBLEM doing so. The area code of the phone number the hacker entered wa[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]  California. That is where PayPal is HQ, correct? Inside job???

Login to Me Too

zorellana
Contributor
Contributor

this is ridiculous that PayPal hasn't realized this is happening to many of their clients. There is something they need to do about this

Login to Me Too

palegirl
Contributor
Contributor

When you look at the comments on the board, you can see it was happening as far back as February of this year. So obviously Paypal does not care about it. 

Login to Me Too

CDAVIS23
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. See my reply below. 

Login to Me Too

palegirl
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, ZERO help from Paypal on this. I was able to get my bank to stop payment on the transfer since it was still "pending" and not completed.  But have to wait 3-5 business days to see if it actually stopped the payment. I am hoping that once the payment is cancelled from my bank, the transaction will be ended on Paypal's side of things and I can close out the account. Paypal will not currently let me close the account or make changes about the banks / card associated with the account until the transaction is complete. I am going to see if I can get any sort of answer on the FB page. Will keep you posted. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.