Account Hacked, E-mail Was Changed, Lost AED 1,000. Need Help!

LoyDude
Contributor
Contributor

My paypal account has been hacked and the hacker changed my account email. Details are as follows:

1. 2 emails were received, both at 5:40 AM informing me that a payment of USD 220.00 to a Nadia Beepersad couldn't be sent.

2. An email receipt was received at 5:44 AM informing that an amount of USD 220.00 was sent to a Mahdi Samhan.

3. I received the email at 6:01 AM from Paypal informing me that I added a new email which is <removed> (I am adding the email to inform everyone that will read this post).

I immediately asked my bank to block my credit card. I tried to contact PayPal support. However, they don't work on weekends. Need help. Will I still be able to get my money back? What are the steps that I need to take? btw, I created a new account just to be able to post here as I am unable to login to my original Paypal account.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LoyDude 

if you were hacked......

Click on the transaction in your paypal account and use the 'report a problem' link at the bottom to report it as unauthorised if that is what it was.

An unauthorised transaction means that your Paypal account was hacked and used without your consent.
If Paypal check IP addresses / devices etc and find that it was hacked then yes you should receive your refund.

I hope you changed your password and security questions?
I hope you ran a virus scan on your computer?
I would also be telling my card issuers and bank accounts company that the account was hacked so that they can keep an eye on your account OR remove the financial info involved until things are sorted.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

LoyDude
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, I am unable to do as you suggested as I can't log in to my account.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LoyDude 

Well you can do some of what i said ie virus scan etc and then.................

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. As you can't log in then use the GUEST OPTION.

OR

have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

LoyDude
Contributor
Contributor

Update: I reported the issue to paypal via phone call today morning and got my account back after 30 minutes. Waiting to get my money back.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LoyDude 

Excellent.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

LoyDude
Contributor
Contributor

Update: still waiting for refund.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.