Accidental Purchase Through Iphone RealReal no password

ursula5
Contributor
Contributor

I was on the checkout page in The REAL REAL - so I could see the postage amount and whether a discount they were advertising would be applied. As the postage was too high and the discount wasn't applied, I went to return to the previous page. I barely know if I accidentally pressed something else but immediately received a notification that I had made the purchase. But I did not log in to Paypal and did not intend to purchase. I have purchased once through this site before and I don't recall waiving any log in rights. I've contacted the site and will call Paypal in the morning, but will I be refunded ?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ursula5 

Seems like abandon shopping cart tech is becoming rather aggressive to desperately reduce it and try to convert them to sales.

Was there a charge on your card/bank account?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

ursula5
Contributor
Contributor

Hey there,

thanks for the reply.

No there hasn't been a charge, but there aren't enough funds anyway, precisely why I didn't purchase!

The transaction comes up on my paypal activity as "Automatic Payment" and that's frustrating because so often I get stung by paypal pending amounts taking ages to come out of my account and I forget to leave sufficient funds.

However in this case when I would like it to be pending so I could cancel, it isn't!

I've disputed the transaction with paypal, and maybe I could try my bank tomorrow. 

And never go on that site again!

Ursula

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ursula5 

I wouldn't go that far as to not purchase from there again but do this:

Go to Account Settings (gear icon) > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments

Select merchant on left, click Cancel on the right. So any future automatic payments won't automatically occur.

Many sites these days set up automatic payment profile in your PayPal account to streamline and speed up the checkout experience on future purchases so its good to cancel it after your transaction has successfully completed. Since you said you bought from the site before, one was set up for you which is why everything is on a hair trigger. You may want to check with the merchant to see if an order was created and request to cancel/void it.

PayPal has this saved shopping cart or new "cart reminders" feature now located in the "Shopping" tab of your account menu (at least on my account layout it does):

Cart Reminders help you by remembering what you've left in your cart at participating stores:

You'll see your cart items here

We'll remember what you've picked - like a bookmark

Review & edit

Manage the items you've added to shopping carts

Browse & checkout

Return to the online store and checkout at your convenience

Login to Me Too

ursula5
Contributor
Contributor

thanks again for the feedback.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but it seems wrong of sites to do that without you expressly nominating for them to do so. I shop on line a lot and I often place items in carts and go to checkout and stall for a while, then purchase sometimes and sometimes not. And not just old fashioned but cynical to boot, I kind of feel like that's their motivation, rather than giving me an easier or express transaction experience!

My mind boggles if I were to imagine the amount of goods I would have purchased had everything that has ever lived in various carts ended up in an automatic payment!

Thank you for the tips, I will definitely go ahead and cancel automatic payments based on your instructions.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ursula5 

Don't forget that these things can turn in to features for merchants by PayPal based on how people use their products.

And so people have to really change their shopping habits or the way they navigate the shopping cart and not shop they way you shop, going through PayPal checkout midway.

I tried a test on a paypal button I was working on and the darn thing did a pending charge of $1.00 on my card lol which was eventually credited and I didn't even complete checkout, I only got as far as logging in and seeing the stage where you edit payment method/shipping address, etc. I received an email from my card saying I made a purchase and I thought, "hey now wait a minute, what purchase!" lmao

Gots to be careful out there.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.