ASER.CO SCAM SELLER, DIFFERENT COMPANY NAME BUT SAME ADDRESS TO RETURN PACKAGE TO CINA

-Frenk-
Contributor
Contributor

I have an ongoing complaint and I am trying to resolve the situation with the customer service in my country (Italy) but I am at a standstill.
The seller (who sent me a totally different item from the one I ordered) has agreed to make a full refund as long as I return the wrong goods they sent me.
But there’s a problem: the address they provided is wrong, so the seller will never receive the goods and I will not be refunded.
I have pointed out that the seller in question has received other complaints and providing a wrong address (address that is used by several other scam companies) is their M.O., but I have been told to return the goods anyway and PayPal will decide what to do once the package cannot be delivered.
I have provided several screenshots that support my allegations and the non-existence of the address provided, and since the address is wrong it is obvious that I cannot send the package back.
I don't find it fair to have to spend more money than the refund amount to ship a package that will never reach its destination.

The address starts with "2nd Floor, Building C" and ends with "Dongguan Wangniudun Guangdong 523208 Cina".

MY CASE WILL BE CLOSED ON NOVEMBER 28TH AND I AM DOING EVERYTHING TO CONVINCE PAYPAL THAT THE SELLER IS A SCAMMER AND I AM RIGHT.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

ChrisMkOz
Contributor
Contributor

You've probably already arrived at the conclusion that you won't receive your money back without a fight. ASER.CO will undoubtedly dodge any attempt at communications and I can already tell you how your PayPal resolution will go:

Let's hypothesise that you spent $200 and received products worth $20 (not unfeasible with ASER.CO). The product you receive will not even be remotely of the same quality as the advertisements and will often exclude key components (as is your case). The seller will respond to the dispute with illogical reasons why they cannot refund you and state (politely) that nothing is wrong with the product, even if you provide proof. You'll eventually get an offer of either:

1. a discount (say 40%) or
  2. a full refund if you post the item back to mainland China.

Neither option is viable as you've paid 10x what the product is worth, so 40% off is still terrible value for an item that does not match the advertised product in any way. Return postage to mainland China will often be as expensive as the original purchase price too, so unscrupulous sellers such as SER.CO will rely on buyers simply giving up. But wait.... the company is in London/Toronto etc. and ships from the UK, Canada etc. I thought they were legitimate. Why am I being asked to return the item to China? Herein lies the rub. That's the subtle beauty of this scam. ASER.CO reap all the reputational benefits of selling out of a Western city and all the benefits of providing a return address in China.

What frustrates me no end is that PayPal facilitate this activity and reap the benefits of a spruiking a product feature (Buyer's Protection) that does not protect consumers from this type of scam at all. That the Return Shipping Claim scheme is hidden in terms & conditions and not referenced in the resolution centre when a return shipping offer is made is very questionable tactics indeed on PayPal's part. As is the lack recourse when a resolution offer is made by the seller that is blatantly unfair. I had the option of returning the product and providing a tracking number or sucking it up and closing the case.

There's plenty of evidence that these scams are happening. I provided a ton of proof when I raised a claim against ASER.CO and it was summarily ignored until I kept pushing for weeks. I even followed up to advise PayPal that ASER.COM were continuing to perpetrate the scam on a new website with the same methodology and a very slightly different product. I did not receive any solid information about what they planned to do apart from a scripted response advising that they review cases like this all the time and will review the seller. Yeah right. ASER.CO are still at it so nothing has transpired. I suspect that PayPal make things difficult for buyers caught up in this type of scam because they want to continue holding favour with Chinese sellers. It's commercially unviable to stop the scams.

What value does PayPal provide to it's users that my credit card doesn't? I could have disputed the transaction with my bank and had the money back in a week instead of wasting my time with robotic responses from PayPal and the Seller and dead ends within the Resolution Center. I eventually received a full refund from PayPal, as ASER.CO broke off all contact. All I had was a single email address that didn't bounce back emails. PayPal framed the refund as a once off gesture of goodwill, as I am apparently a good customer. It was a US$26 refund to an account that has processed about US$200K over it's lifetime.

Login to Me Too

-Frenk-
Contributor
Contributor
Premise: I live in Italy and the shipment to Cina by post cost me 26,50€. The total refound requested amounts to 32,98 USD, 27€ give or take. PayPal reimburses max 30€ for the shipping costs. Despite providing several proofs of the seller's **bleep** behavior, the wrong address provided and so on, the customer service guys told me they had their hands tied and couldn't do anything (surprise surprise) and they suggested that I proceed in this way: - return the package and request the refound of the shipping costs to PayPal, which I could do without problem because it cost me 26,50€; - recipient name & phone number problem. They told me to put ASER.CO as the recipient's name (despite the company being based in the UK) and my number as a phone number, so the package would be shipped anyway; - once this is done, PayPal has proof that I have done my duty and if the package doesn't arrive at destination (it will not arrive cuz the address, among other things, is wrong) they will decide how to proceed. Now, I only sent the package back because I was lucky with the relatively low shipping costs that PayPal was able to refound in total, otherwise I would never have spent more than 30€ to send back an item that costs max 2€. Now I just have to wait and hope that PayPal will refound me.
Login to Me Too

-Frenk-
Contributor
Contributor

After more than a month (the closure date was postponed different times) the claim was closed in my favor and PayPal refunded me the full amount.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.