1,000 unknown bank transfer

tanaa
New Community Member

Help! At 12pm last night my PayPal password was changed and set to Spanish. I then was able to reset my password but when I logged into my activity an unknown Visa card using my address was on my account and a $1,000 transfer to a “cuenta <removed>” was pending, they already took the money out of my bank! The office is closed and I have no idea if I’m protected or not, I called my bank and started a claim but I now have a negative $502!!!!!

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Famg333333
New Community Member
Me too. I believe it happened on the 18th. PayPal of course hides their phone number so your forced to Google it. By the time you get ahold of someone they tell you they are closed. How does a company that is responsible for infinite amounts of people's money have a fraud department that closes? Not only is Pay Pal trying to take my money, they have Noone to answer the phone. So all I can do is assume someone's hacked the account and I have no power to do anything about it. Looks like Pay Pal has lost another client.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @tanaa and @Famg333333,

I'm so sorry to hear or the unauthorized activity, and I'm sorry to hear that you had difficulty finding the number. The number to call can be found by clicking Help & Contact at the bottom of any PayPal page, then Contact Customer Service, then Call us, then either log in or click to call as a guest. It's important to use only that number, as there is no way to ensure that a number found through Google or another search engine is the accurate number and you do not want to be subjected to any further fraud that can result from calling a phishing phone number. In addition to calling, you can always contact customer support by email (also under Help & Contact), Facebook, or Twitter.

I'm glad to hear that you started a claim, tanaa. Have you done so, Famg333333? If not, please follow these steps.

I hope this is resolved swiftly for you both!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

barkarse
New Community Member

Adding my name to the list.
April Friday the 13th I log in "just to see what my account looks like." That is when I saw a thousand dollar transfer from my bank to paypal. I never requested this transfer, my passwords were not changed, nor the language. I went though the reporting process... Is this a known issue? Nine days to respond sounds like ticket back-log, anyone who has held a position of support can see that. 

Their phone line created an open case for me so that was nice, but since then, even though I'm contesting the transfer, the money was still transferred, yet is "not gaining interest" because I have opened a case against the transfer. 

First bad experience since I started over 10 years ago. 

UPDATE:
Received an email stating my status was updated and that
"Unfortunately we are unable to cancel the request to add money from your bank account. However, once the funds have been added to your account you will be able to withdraw the money back to your bank account." - which will take another day. 
Why would I want that when I am stating that the money should have never been transferred...

Login to Me Too

kuntryboyeeejak
New Community Member

Just had the same thing happen to me.  Card got declined, checked my bank account, and had a random $1,000 withdrawal to:  "PAYPAL TRANSFER A8RA"   Which of course gave me overdraws, etc.   Hopefully my bank can figure this out and get that money back.  These damn scammers need shot.  

Login to Me Too

Wp33
New Community Member
This is happening to me right now and it is extremely irritating!!! Did you end up being able to transfer it back into your account after PayPal no longer had it in “Pending”?
Login to Me Too

DMP777
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing happened to me just this morning. When I submitted my claim it stems that they will have an answer by March 30th! Ugh, it is so frustrating
Login to Me Too

knitsdelicate
New Community Member

Exact same thing happened to me.  Changed language to Spanish, changed phone numbers in account settings and transferred $1000 from bank account.  Can't get through to speak to anyone after trying for HOURS!  When speaking to fraud dept. at my bank, that one agent said she had received A LOT of calls within the past two days with the exact same dollar amount transferred out via PayPal.  PayPal won't even let me close my account online and I can't speak to anyone at PayPal.

Also, I noticed the original post is from 2018!!!  This is pathetic PayPal!!  It's now nearing the end of 2020 and this is still a regular issue! 

Starting to look like you are complicit in the fraud or complacent about fraud!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.