$1,000 mysteriously moved from bank account to PayPal account

Jmez1600m
Contributor
Contributor
I had a random charge of $1000 moved from my bank account to my PayPal account, but I didn’t make the transaction. The payment is pending and shows a transaction ID, but can’t cancel it. When it clears can I just transfer that back into my bank account?
Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Jmez1600m,

I'm sorry to hear that there's unrecognized activity on your PayPal account. If a fraudster did access your account using your password, it's crucial that you change that password right away to prevent them accessing your account again to try to get the money out of the account.

Please also check your account thoroughly for any other unauthorized activity. If you do come across any transactions that you did not make, please report them.

You may also wish to take into account these tips for checking your system's security.

If the funds have cleared to your PayPal balance, you may absolutely withdraw them.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Jmez1600m
Contributor
Contributor
It seemed to have fixed itself. The transaction came up as failed, and the money was transferred back to my bank account. Passwords have been changed so hopefully it doesn’t happen again!
Login to Me Too

mrgregorio
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened to me too, twice in one week! First I received emails from PayPal in Spanish. Then I saw $1,000 was taken out from my bank (pending status) and is also in pending status in my PayPal account. I was able to call my bank and put a stop payment so the transaction in my PayPal account failed. It was back in my bank account the next day.

But yesterday, it there was another $1,000 deposit (pending status) in my PayPal account but this time it took it from my other bank account. The difference is this one was never in pending status in my bank, it was immediately put in processed status in my bank account. SO now I have to wait until it is resolved by the bank investigating it.

I attempted to close my PayPal account since this is really scary that it happened twice within a week's time but it's saying that I have to wait until the $1,000 actually is posted in PayPal before I can close it. Such a bummer that PayPal is not safe anymore. I try to report it to PayPal but it won't let me because it's incoming not outgoing. On top of all this, I can't even speak to a representative. So frustrating!

Login to Me Too

Matt_Rice
Contributor
Contributor
This is happening to us as well! (On my wife’s account). 2 $1,000 transfers in a weeks time, AND support language for her has turned to Spanish. Please help.
Login to Me Too

Matt_Rice
Contributor
Contributor
CORRECTION! 3 $1,000 transfers in a week’s time!
Login to Me Too

Krenee8632
Contributor
Contributor
This EXACT thing happened to me this week as well! PayPal randomly started showing up in Spanish then 2 $1000 transactions were being pulled from my bank! I filled a claim, but I’m super curious how this happened! What sites did you all order from In the last week? I did fabletics, a veteran tshirt company, Adobe, and Spotify. Any of those equal up to you guys?
Login to Me Too

Matt_Rice
Contributor
Contributor
Those don’t match with our spending in the past week. I believe that PayPal has been hacked. They were Pentested back in February and 6 major vulnerabilities were found with their security. I believe that someone within PayPal (or a hacker acting with that authority—which was warned against in the Pentest report) is targeting PayPal accounts with external accounts linked to it—specifically, ones with VISA cards. Do you have a VISA debit card linked?
Login to Me Too

Danielhmonroe
Contributor
Contributor
I had this happen twice. Once in 9/16, once on 9/18. It wasn’t on my PayPal account at all though. They said someone might have signed in as a guest and used my bank info. This is infuriating.
Login to Me Too

Krenee8632
Contributor
Contributor
Same here!!! Let me Know if you figure out what happened
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.