Share your favorite charity with us and win a donation to your cause!

_LouisH
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. The holiday seasons are in full swing this month we decided to do something different. For the December Reward, since it’s the season of giving, we want to hear about what charities and causes you’re interested in.  Post the URL for your charity on the community message board and include a brief description of what it does and why it matters to  you. At the end of the month, we will randomly select 25 member posts who will each receive a $250 contribution, to their chosen charity, in your name.

For an extensive list of charitable causes visit Donate with PayPal.

Happy Holidays,

Louis

Login to Me Too
70 REPLIES 70

temp20190328q

http://www.lionsclubs.org

I have been part of the Lion's Club INT for over 3 years now. It is much more than a group of people helping out the community, it is a vast group of people willing to counter major world conflicts like poverty, education, and public awareness. Some of its biggest projects are its 'Sight Program' where volunteers collect eyeglasses to donate to recycling centers to be distributed to children who can't read or write due to difficulty seeing around the world. 

Login to Me Too

despeekb

http://members.petfinder.com/~MI364/index.htm

Mid-Michigan Cat Rescue is my favorite charity! They are AWESOME!!

Login to Me Too

ek_academy_prep
New Community Member

We are a private school (non-profit), and are always welcoming curricula, old PC's and/or laptops. Scientific based manipulative are loved here as well

We appreciate and support or donated items from the public , as along with non-profit (several volunteer educators have made us what we are today--but I want to express that we do not charge for students that cannot afford it. We have fundraisers, donations, etc to cover the overhead--

It is a great opportunity for Christian families to send their kids to a Christ-centered school, without the worry or stress of paying a private tuition--after all, it doesn't matter if you are rich or poor--we all want what is best for our children, and Kaser-Edwards Academy & Prep makes certain that it isn't impossible for their kids to have the same benefits as a wealthy family--

Login to Me Too

GeeWhizKid
Contributor
Contributor

On Lok is a not-for-profit organization founded in the early 1970s by a group of citizens concerned about the plight of elders and the lack of long term options in the community.  Here is their website:  http://www.onlok.org/

Login to Me Too

mstraga

My favorite charity is the National Multple Sclerosis Society. I have MS and try to give as much as I can to help find a cure. I am one of the lucky ones in some respects. I am still able to walk but don't take that for granted. Every day is a blessing and any help that the foundation gets for the betterment of our illness is a blessing. Thank you for the opportunity to give to them in another way. 🙂

Login to Me Too

mstaplin

http://www.farmsanctuary.org/ 

Farm Sanctuary works to protect farm animals from cruelty, inspire change in the way society views and treats farm animals, and promote compassionate vegan living. I lead a vegetarian lifestyle and feel very strongly about treating all animals with compassion and respect. I fully support Farm Sanctuary's mission to combat the horrific conditions many animals endure in factory farm conditions.

Login to Me Too

MarshHollow

The Pet Orphanage, thepetorphanage.org, is an animal welfare organization based in Logan, OH. Although it started with a shelter in 2000, it now focuses on low-cost spay/neuter programs for dogs & cats. There are monthly cat spay/neuter clinics, and approximately 8 dog spay/neuter clinics per year. Financial assistance is available to pet owners who cannot afford to spay/neuter their pets even at the low rates offered and many pets are sent to local veterinarians for surgery. Their motto is "Reducing animal overpopulation one spay at a time."

Login to Me Too

Cort
Contributor
Contributor

Phoenix Rising an NEID Corp (forums.phoenixrising.me) serves what is easily the most neglected disease group in the US - people with Chronic fatigue syndrome. Government studies show that chronic fatigue syndrome or CFS is often severely disabling and affects around a 1,000,000 people in the US, costing the US economy around 20 billion dollars a year in losses yet the federal government funds research into this disorder to the tune of about 6 million dollars a year when diseases of its size regularly get hundreds of millions a year. 

Please support Phoenix Rising in its quest to support people with an 'invisible disorder' that is all to real to those who have it. 

Thanks

Login to Me Too

PetitePrincess
Contributor
Contributor
My Favorite Charity Is Calvary Bible Church Of Catalina Island

Calvary Bible Church of Catalina Island www.calvarybiblechurch.com exists on a remote Island 26 miles off the coast of Southern California. The faithful who meet there battle the drugs and alcohol abuse that runs rampant on this Island, encouraging others simply to read the Bible and follow its teachings: to love God with all their hearts and love their neighb ors as themselves. It is a sacrifice to live on this Island as there are no malls, bowling alleys, chain restaurants such as McDonald's, nor amusement parks, and it costs a $70.00 round trip ticket to travel to and from the Mainland.

Calvary Bible Church is a California Non-Profit Corporation that receives a minimum amount of donations from the local residents of Catalina Island, so any contributions are greatly appreciated! Thank you for considering this recommendation to support my favorite charity.

I'm sorry for posting this twice, but I am new to this discussion board and wasn't sure where to post it. Hopefully, my post is in the correct location now! Please feel free to delete my former post if it wasn't correctly placed.

Login to Me Too

SaffronRose

My favorite charity on the "approved" list is the Second Harvest Foodbank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties, the headquarters (I think) in San Jose, in the Willow Glen/Canoas Garden area. 

www.SHFB.org

They will make that $250 stretch to at least $1000 through their network of sponsors and food industry donors. There are a lot of unemployed parents with families, those who've had to deal with bancruptcy or foreclosure, and those who are homeless, and scraping by in shelters or on the street.

I'd love to cite the Amer. Heart Assn., and the National Assoc. for Mental Illness, and the Alzheimers organizations, but I don't think I can enter that many times!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.