Share your favorite charity with us and win a donation to your cause!

_LouisH
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. The holiday seasons are in full swing this month we decided to do something different. For the December Reward, since it’s the season of giving, we want to hear about what charities and causes you’re interested in.  Post the URL for your charity on the community message board and include a brief description of what it does and why it matters to  you. At the end of the month, we will randomly select 25 member posts who will each receive a $250 contribution, to their chosen charity, in your name.

For an extensive list of charitable causes visit Donate with PayPal.

Happy Holidays,

Louis

Login to Me Too
70 REPLIES 70

PayPal_ReneeM
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

This is an amazing place. Thank you for sharing your charity with the Advantage community!

Login to Me Too

fishnmich
Contributor
Contributor

Happy Holidays! My favorite charity is Whaley Children in Flint, Michigan.

whaleychildren.org

They provide resources that help children that have been sexually abused.

They can transform children with they concept of belonging, mastery, generosity and independence.

Thanks for the opportunity to help them win!!

Diane

Login to Me Too

cali4meto

Hello everyone!   From CampRiverRun in Meridian Idaho. We take Kids to camp every summer that have life threatening illnesses. Usually about 20 kids get to go to cascade Idaho. We have many volunteers to make all this possible. It takes a lot of donations to make this all happen. The joy in these kids faces is why I am in my forth year as a volunteer. We are currently in our fifth year as a non profit organization.  I am happy to donate my time every summer because kids like this deserve the help of others and a chance to do go to camp. Even in their condition. Here is some more information on camp river run or visit our web page and check out the kids yourself...  Thanks all ! ... From one volunteer who cares......   Daryl Lady Meridian Idaho ....... campriverrun.org

Camp River Run

Inspired by nature and flowing with optimism...

we offer children who battle life-threatening or disabling medical conditions an outdoor camp experience to rejuvenate their youth and strengthen their spirits.

Camp River Run is a 4 day summer camp in Cascade Idaho designed for kids ages 7-14 coping with medical issues or life threatening illnesses. These children get the chance to experience nature and camping without compromising their medical needs.

Camp River Run is committed to provide excellent support and care for our campers.

Trained and skilled health care personnel is important to all of us at camp.

Those entrusting their children or loved ones to the awesome weekend offered by Camp River Run, deserve the peace of mind and comfort in knowing that those special campers are being cared for by the best.

Our volunteer health care staff are licensed according to their relative field and have been selected in accordance to the needs of our campers. All staff and volunteer's are CPR and First Aid trained.

• 24 hour availability of health care and coordination for our campers' needs is provided during camp.
  • It is important that we tailor our volunteer duties to the specific needs of each of our campers.

Camp 2012 
August 09, 2012(11:00) - August 13, 2012 (11:00)

Camp River Run is a 501(c)(3) d non-profit organization. Tax Id# 20-5850243. All donations are tax deductible.

Login to Me Too

gogadgetarms2
New Community Member

http://www.woundedeodwarrior.org/

The Wounded EOD Warrior Foundation was founded to support wounded in action Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technicians (Military's version of the Bomb Squad--as seen in the movie "Hurt Locker") with both short term and long term financial assistance, above and beyond what the Department of Defense and Veterans Affairs is able to do.  For example, WEODW will help the spouse of a severely injured warrior with the expense of staying near Bethesda Hospital while their EOD Technician is undergoing rehab or other medical procedures.  Being a private charity, the WEODW foundation can react much more quickly than the government agencies to provide support.

The foundation is an amazing charitable organization that I have seen the results of first hand.  I had have several friends get injured in the line of duty with everything from amputations to losing their sight.  Ken Faulk and Sherri Beck lead a group of dedicated and selfless individuals who go above and beyond to ensure that our injured are surrounded by family and have every opportunity to rehabilitate successfully.

Thank you,

Casey

Login to Me Too

voiceforhorses
Contributor
Contributor

My Favorite charity is Voice For Horses Rescue Network, they are a nonprofit equine rescue who helps hundreds of horses from going to auction and slaughter, and even ones whose owner can no longer afford to care for them and neglect cases across the USA, they are an all volunteer organization who is ran on donations from the caring community and has been for 11 yr.  Visit them at www.voiceforhorses.org

Login to Me Too

turtle1977
New Community Member

http://www.warl.org/ -- the Washington Animal Rescue League is a no-kill shelter for adoptable pets in the Washington, DC area.  I got my current dog Kiwi (a shepherd/chow mix) there 12 years ago and he's been one of the best things in my life ever since.  It's a lovely facility where the pets get lots of great medical care and human love and is a worthy charity!

Login to Me Too

cheekyfrills

Hands down, St Jude Children's Research Hospital!  No child is ever turned away.

Login to Me Too

1831home

My favorite charity is Tails of Joy run by Elayne Boosler.  Every dollar goes directly to help animals and it is 100% run by volunteers.

http://www.tailsofjoy.net/pages/about.html

Here is their mission statement: 

"Tails of Joy is a not-for-profit (501c3) organization founded by comedian/writer/animal activist Elayne Boosler. Our goal, with your help, is to make the world better for animals and their people. We raise funds for the smallest, neediest rescues all across the country. We work for the passing and enforcing of anti-cruelty, and animal welfare laws."

A $250 donation to this organization would do so much good.

Happy New Year!  Have a blessed 2012.

Sue 

Login to Me Too

purplekitty
Contributor
Contributor

My favorite charity is Suicide Awareness Voices of Education, http://www.save.org/.

This charity has become very close to my heart since my dad took his own life two years ago. Since then, I have made it my personal mission to speak out about mental illness & depression, and erase the stigma associated with the illness so that people suffering know that they are not alone and that there is help. My hope is that I can help other families so that they never have to feel the pain my family has experienced as survivors of suicide.

The mission of SAVE is to prevent suicide through public awareness and education, reduce stigma and serve as a resource to those touched by suicide.

Brain illnesses such as depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia or other mood or anxiety disorders, when left untreated, unfortunately may also result in suicide.

The brain as an organ can get sick, just like other organs in the body. SAVE is committed to educating the general public about depressive brain illnesses, the symptoms, possible causes and the need for professional assessment and treatment. By educating the general public about these illnesses, treatment is encouraged, and the stigma associated with suicide and brain illnesses is reduced or removed.

SAVE's prevention and education programs are designed to:

• Increase knowledge about depression, other brain illnesses and the need for assessment and treatment as suicide prevention.
  • Increase knowledge about symptoms of depression and the warning signs of suicidal thinking and behavior.
  • Increase understanding and the use of intervention skills that can help avoid the tragedy of suicide.
  • Increase knowledge about community resources and how to access and use them.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.