Can I give a disount to customers with a certain credit card type? (Visa, American Express, etc.)

ThirdBoxcar
Contributor
Contributor

The subject line says it all.

Say I run a promotion where I say "American Express cardholders receive a 5% discount!"

Can I make this automatic when the user enters a payment with that card?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

One benefit, for buyers, of using PayPal is that your seller is unaware of what type of funding source you are using - and it may not always be a card. 

The checkout process, even with a third party shopping cart, will not pass this information along to the seller.  This would be in direct violation of PayPal's privacy and security information policies.

However, you still have the opportunity to provide this particular promotion to your consumers through the use of Virtual Terminal, although you would need to manually deduct the amount in some manner when running the card.  You might check out www.paypal.com/mts to see what solutions may be out there to implement this idea.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

One benefit, for buyers, of using PayPal is that your seller is unaware of what type of funding source you are using - and it may not always be a card. 

The checkout process, even with a third party shopping cart, will not pass this information along to the seller.  This would be in direct violation of PayPal's privacy and security information policies.

However, you still have the opportunity to provide this particular promotion to your consumers through the use of Virtual Terminal, although you would need to manually deduct the amount in some manner when running the card.  You might check out www.paypal.com/mts to see what solutions may be out there to implement this idea.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

ThirdBoxcar
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! Very helpful.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.