PayPal UK Community Chat - 11/01/2017.

PayPal_david

Hi everyone!

We will be facilitating the UK Community Chat with our moderation team starting on Wednesday the 11th of January between 4pm and 6pm GMT.

We will be on hand between the above times to answer any PayPal related questions - or just to have a quick chat Smiley Happy

We are going to leave this thread open for questions until the live chat ends on the 11th of January. If there is anything that you would like to ask, please feel free to stop by.

Talk to you soon!

David.

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PayPal_david

Hi,

Bit of confusion about using friends / family.

Is it allowed for an employer to pay an employee his wages using the friends / family option?

The employee is not really selling anything and they have not asked for the paypal payment its just how they are paid so is it ok to be paid that way?

I did see a moderator suggest to someone to use that option but I can't find the thread and that was a few years ago.

Cheers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hey Kernowlass.

We get asked this question quite a bit from customers who receive their wages through PayPal. In most cases, funds are received and they are placed on hold for up to 21 days as the payment would be sent as a goods transaction.

Not every country can receive personal payments so I would advise people in this situation to request their employer to send the payment as a service payment if they have an option. If a hold would be placed on the payment, it would be released after 3 days maximum. 

If a service payment is not an option, then you could advise the customer that they can also try a personal payment if they wish to see if that goes through without any issues.

David.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PayPal_david

Yes I appreciate it is often sent as goods / services and that some countries can't accept friends / family payments BUT what I was meaning is if the employer does send their wages using the friends / family option is it against paypal rules?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Okay I understand where you are coming from. Theere is no item being sold, it is simply a payment for wages that is being processed through PayPal so I would think that this would not be in breach of our user agereeement. 

Hope this helps.

David.

Login to Me Too

Javison4

Hello,

I bought an item off eBay but for some reason it went through as an e-cheque. 

Because e-cheques take a while to process, myself and the seller cancelled the transaction so I could pay again but through cash.

A couple of days later the e-cheque has actually been taken from my bank account. 

Even though on my PayPal account there are lines through the transactions in which the e-cheque was paying for.

What should I do?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Javison4

When a payment is cancelled it can't do u-turn, so it still leaves your bank account but when it gets to paypal if it has been cancelled it will be credited to your paypal account balance for you to use or withdraw again.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Javison4

ok thanks.

I expect it to take a few days

Login to Me Too

bingoberty
New Community Member

Hi David,

I have a case where the claim was made 97 days after purchase. In the case comments, the buyer states " i have came to use thsi amplifier and it does not switch on now, i took it out the box upon receipt and it switched on but now there is nothing happening" which indicates that it worked when the buyer first used it, but 3 months later it stopped working. Surely buyer protection only applies when the goods are received faulty and the user should be responsible for ensuring correct and responsible useage?

I consider this a breach of your terms and condition 9.1 (m) which prohibits : "Abuse (as either a buyer or seller) of our Online Dispute Resolution process and/or PayPal Buyer Protection".  What are your thoughts on this please

Regards

Gazza

Login to Me Too

dc70

I have a dispute in progress for a mattress I bought which is significally different to the one I ordered. The seller has commented in the resolution that I should return the mattress for a full refund, but I have to return the item at a cost to myself or they will collect it for £49.99. As the mattress is large and heavy it will cost a lot to return. Isn't it the responsibilty of the seller to pay for or arrange the return, as I never ordered this mattress in the first place. regards Dean

Not as described – Claim – no. PP-005-444-439-867

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.