PayPal Community Chat - 3/28 - Closed

PayPal_Olivia

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our weekly Community Chat on Wednesday, March 28th, from 1-2 pm PT (4-5 pm ET).

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal. This thread will remain locked until the chat is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board.  As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Contact Us" and selecting help via phone or email.

How Community Chat works:

The chat opens at 1 pm PT. Once the chat is open, PayPal Community members may participate and ask questions by using the "Reply to topic" button.

In order to post in the chat, you must be a PayPal Community member. If you'd like email updates on the chat, click the "Options" menu and select Subscribe. Smiley Happy 

During the chat, PayPal Moderators will answer general PayPal questions in real-time. 

At 2 pm PT, the chat will close and lock. Any questions that have not yet been responded to by a moderator or employee will receive a response within the following hour.

Please feel free to RSVP to the chat by clicking "Me too" at the bottom of this post.  See you then!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

PayPal_Olivia

@johns_extras wrote:

Also, while we're at it...  If you end up with a CREDIT in your SmartConnect account (this happens when you use it to pay for something, then you pay off the balance owed (maybe using your PayPal balance to do so), and then the item that you paid for earlier gets returned/refunded) -- why is there no way to send it BACK to your PayPal balance?  Right now, the only option to get your SmartConnect credit back is to have them send you a check.  Sure, you can also just use it -- but you have to do it within 45 days or, again, they send you a check.

The whole point of SmartConnect is the integration with PayPal.  So why can't I put a CREDIT from SmartConnect back into my PayPal account?

Hi @johns_extras,

Great question! When a credit line of any kind is used to fund a payment and that payment gets refunded, the credit will always go back to that credit line. It's not possible to use PayPal to get cash from a credit line, even if it is a refund of a payment originally intended for a purchase. The refund check that you're receiving from Smart Connect is technically a refund of the cash that you paid to the balance.

I hope that helps explain.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

johns_extras
Contributor
Contributor
@PayPal_Oliviawrote:

Great question! When a credit line of any kind is used to fund a payment and that payment gets refunded, the credit will always go back to that credit line. It's not possible to use PayPal to get cash from a credit line, even if it is a refund of a payment originally intended for a purchase. The refund check that you're receiving from Smart Connect is technically a refund of the cash that you paid to the balance.

The problem with that is that I didn't pay "cash" to the balance.  I used my PAYPAL BALANCE to pay the SmartConnect payment.  Therefore, I'm just trying to get THAT sent back to the original source.

So, I get that the credit goes back to SmartConnect when refunded -- as it should.  What I don't get is why I can easily use my PayPal Balance to make a payment on PayPal SmartConnect -- but I cannot do the reverse of that after I get a refund to my SmartConnect account.

It is wrong to say that the "refund check from SC is technically a refund of the cash that I paid to the balance" -- because, again, I used PAYPAL to pay the balance.  I shouldn't have to get a physical check mailed to me, have to deposit it in a local checking account, and then do a transfer from that account to my PayPal just to get that payment back that I had paid to the balance.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

@johns_extras wrote:
@PayPal_Oliviawrote:

The problem with that is that I didn't pay "cash" to the balance.  I used my PAYPAL BALANCE to pay the SmartConnect payment.  Therefore, I'm just trying to get THAT sent back to the original source.

So, I get that the credit goes back to SmartConnect when refunded -- as it should.  What I don't get is why I can easily use my PayPal Balance to make a payment on PayPal SmartConnect -- but I cannot do the reverse of that after I get a refund to my SmartConnect account.

It is wrong to say that the "refund check from SC is technically a refund of the cash that I paid to the balance" -- because, again, I used PAYPAL to pay the balance.  I shouldn't have to get a physical check mailed to me, have to deposit it in a local checking account, and then do a transfer from that account to my PayPal just to get that payment back that I had paid to the balance.

Hi @johns_extras,

Good point! I can see where you're coming from, and it would be great if payments made to the credit lines from your balance could be reversed back to the balance instead of issued by check, but that isn't a current capability. That's also great feedback, and I will pass it along as well.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

@johns_extras wrote:

How come there is such a long delay between PayPal and PayPal Smart Connect?  I understand that PPSC is through Synchrony Bank -- but it just seems like the direct integration of the two would make it so that transfers/payments from one to the other would be faster and not take several days to post.

Hi @johns_extras,

Welcome to the chat! I'm sorry to hear that there is a delay in transfers and payments with Smart Connect. I appreciate the feedback you've given about this experience and your idea for improving it. I'll make sure that feedback gets passed to the right folks!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

scottq2734

Hello,

I am interested in selling physical concert tickets.  I want to confirm I understand the best method of doing so.  After sending a request for money to the buyer and having their funds come in successfully, I should mail the tickets with tracking that provides proof of delivery and pay for insurance on the mail. I would also not need to select "provide signature" since the value of the tickets is below $750.  Is there anything else I would need to do to protect myself from the buyer disputing the transaction? It also sounds like under Paypal's user agreement the buyer can put in a "Significantly not as described" claim and the seller would not be protected in that instance.  What protects the seller from the buyer doing this after they have attended the show? Thanks for any help!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

@scottq2734 wrote:

Hello,

I am interested in selling physical concert tickets.  I want to confirm I understand the best method of doing so.  After sending a request for money to the buyer and having their funds come in successfully, I should mail the tickets with tracking that provides proof of delivery and pay for insurance on the mail. I would also not need to select "provide signature" since the value of the tickets is below $750.  Is there anything else I would need to do to protect myself from the buyer disputing the transaction? It also sounds like under Paypal's user agreement the buyer can put in a "Significantly not as described" claim and the seller would not be protected in that instance.  What protects the seller from the buyer doing this after they have attended the show? Thanks for any help!

Hey @scottq2734,

Thanks for stopping by the chat today, I'm happy to help with your Seller Protection questions! When it comes to selling concert tickets, you definitely want to make sure you ship them, like you said. You'll need to have a tracking number that shows the item is delivered if the buyer files a claim that they didn't receive them, or reports the transaction as unauthorized.

Regarding a Significantly Not as Described claim, you're correct - there is no Seller Protection for this related to show or event tickets. If the buyer were to dispute the payment using this method, you would more than likely lose the tickets and the money.

There are other factors as well, such as if the buyer were to find cheaper tickets while yours are still being shipped, they could refuse the package. Depending on when the show or event the tickets are for occurs, you could lose both in that situation as well (the tickets would be returned, but would also be worthless as the event already happened). In cases like this, it may be best to meet in person and only accept cash for your sale. I hope this helps!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Pam555
Contributor
Contributor

I received two refunds from a store the same day.  Both show up in my account activity but only one is reflected in my available balance.  Customer service responded in that the missing one was 'stucked'.  It has been over three weeks and still no money refunded.  Do you have any idea how much longer this correction will take?  

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

@Pam555 wrote:

I received two refunds from a store the same day.  Both show up in my account activity but only one is reflected in my available balance.  Customer service responded in that the missing one was 'stucked'.  It has been over three weeks and still no money refunded.  Do you have any idea how much longer this correction will take?  

Hi @Pam555,

Welcome to the community! That's definitely strange! A refund may be delayed if it's funded on the seller's side by an eCheck, or  if the original payment was funded by your bank and we're waiting for those funds to clear, but neither of those situations should take three weeks. It's possible that there's a technical issue involved. I regret that we can't do account-specific support via the community forum to get an idea of exactly what's happening, but another contact to customer support may help. You can reach customer support by Facebook, Twitter, or phone or email.

I hope they can get that straightened right out for you!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Thank you to everyone for participating in this week's chat session!  

The weekly chat session is now closed.  All thread content will remain viewable, but locked.  Any questions that have not yet been responded to by a moderator or employee will receive a response within the next hour.

If you missed chatting with us today, please come back next week on Wednesday, March 7th at 1pm PT. We'd love to meet you!

See you then!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.