Community Chat 4/25

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our weekly Community Chat on Wednesday, April 25th, from 4 to 5 PM CDT (2-3 PM PDT). 

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal - or just to get to know you. This thread will remain locked until the chat is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board.  As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Contact Us" and selecting help via phone or email.

See you then!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

This week's Community Chat is now open and unlocked! 

Our moderator staff will be available for the next hour to answer your questions about PayPal, get to know you, or just have idle conversation.  We do ask that posts follow the PayPal Community Help Forum Policy and the Forum Guidelines.

Once the session is over, this thread will be locked again, but you will be able to view the content in the forums.  This chat is a regular feature every Wednesday from 4-5 PM CST, so if you missed us this week, please feel free to stop by in the future! We want to get to know you!

It's about that time of year - warm weather is starting to roll in, spring is in the air, and everyone seems to be ready to go outside.  What sort of spring time hobbies or activities do you like to engage in?  What do you do to get out of the house?  Share with us!

Login to Me Too

rabbitpam

Hi, first time user so thanks for your patience.

I would like to start receiving payments for services (freelance writing articles) that asked for an email address to be submitted to be paid via PayPal. I have had a PayPal account for years, but only to make payments, not to receive money.

I do not want to give out my email address for security purposes. It is my personal contact information and I do not want buyers to have it directly. Do I have a separate PayPal email I can give out to buyers instead? Or do I need to create a new gmail account that I only use for this purpose and add it ot my PayPal account list of emails? Thank you.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi rabbitpam, and welcome to the chat!

I can completely understand your concern with the email address - that's why PayPal allows you to have at least 4 on file (8 if you're Verified).  I think the solution you proposed is the best way to go to maintain your privacy and avoid them emailing you directly, though you'll still want to keep an eye on the new one in case they do.

Stick around and answer the ice breaker - we like to share stories here and have a good chat.  Thanks for stopping in!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

rabbitpam

Hi, Adrian,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I think I will create a new gmail address and add it for this purpose. If it takes off, I may want to continue to use it for designated business transactions. Will definitely have to remember to monitor it!

I have used PP for years and it gives a great sense of security when making purchases. I used to use it on occasion with Ebay, and once encountered a bogus seller. PayPal refunded my $ and chased him down. He'd tried to swindle about 4 buyers that day. It was a great relief to be refunded by the PayPal protection policy. Been a fan of PP ever since.

Thanks again,

rabbitpam

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

rabbitpam -

I'm glad we took care of that for you, it's success stories such as your own that make all the difference.  PayPal really is a safe way to pay! 

In my eleven years of having an account, not once have I ever had to file a dispute - and that means not only do we have some great sellers, but we're doing a good job of ensuring potentially problematic sellers are monitored properly.  I'm glad the PayPal Purchase Protection program kept you safe! Smiley Happy

Oh! Another option you might consider, which granted is a bit more work, would be to open an entirely separate PayPal account for receiving payments.  However, you may need a different bank account to add to the second account, but that might  be in your best interests in any event to help keep business records straight.  Your balance will also be easier to track as well. 

Adrian

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi rabbitpam,

@rabbitpam wrote:
I think I will create a new gmail address and add it for this purpose. If it takes off, I may want to continue to use it for designated business transactions. Will definitely have to remember to monitor it!

Just a thought -

Many email providers will allow mail forwarding. If you're setting up a gmail address specifically for use with the account, you may want to look into forwarding received emails to your daily-use email address so you'll see them right away.

Keep in mind that replies sent from your email would be coming from that address. Most email providers will allow you to set it up so you can also send from an alternate From: address, but the real email address may potentially be buried in the header information somewhere.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

@PayPal_Olivia wrote:

Many email providers will allow mail forwarding. If you're setting up a gmail address specifically for use with the account, you may want to look into forwarding received emails to your daily-use email address so you'll see them 

Olivia

Oooo that's a great idea, I didn't think of that! Your brain never ceases to amaze me, Olivia Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

PayPal_Adrian wrote:

Oooo that's a great idea, I didn't think of that! Your brain never ceases to amaze me, Olivia Smiley Happy

You've told me that before, but I don't know if it's always a compliment. Smiley Very Happy

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone!

This weather has been absolutely amazing! I really wish I could set my desk up outside to thoroughly enjoy it. 🙂

Springtime hobbies? Hmmmm. I really should get on my bike. There are some fantastic bike trails in this city, and I don't use them nearly enough.

I'd also like to learn how to play disc golf. Hey Frank - will you teach me some time?

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.