Community Chat 4/11/12

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our weekly Community Chat on Wednesday, April 11th, from 4 to 5 PM CDT (2-3 PM PDT). 

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal - or just to get to know you. This thread will remain locked until the chat is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board.  As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Contact Us" and selecting help via phone or email.

See you then!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

dogg
Contributor
Contributor

I have a merchant that wants to give me a refund. They have requested my paypal number. Where do I find this? Should I do this or is there a better way?

thanks

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi dogg!

Welcome to the forums! 🙂

I'm typing up a response to you now. Please feel free to stick around and answer our icebreaker question while you wait. 🙂

PayPal_Adrian wrote:

We've seen one of the largest lotteries ever over the last few weeks.  What if you had won the lottery?  What would you do with your prize money? Would you take a lump sum payout or not?

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi dogg,

Thanks for your patience. We tend to get a little distracted by the fun stuff during our weekly chat. Feel free to come back and join us for our next one. We have one in the Canada forums every Thursday, and this one in the US forums every Wednesday.

To answer your question, there are a few ways to get a refund from a merchant. If your original payment to the merchant was through PayPal and less than 60 days ago, the very best way to get a refund is for the merchant to click the refund option on the original payment in their PayPal transaction history. This will associate the refund with the payment, and make everyone's record-keeping neat and orderly. 🙂

If it's after 60 days or your original payment was not through PayPal, the merchant can use Send money to send you a direct payment. All they need is your PayPal email address. Never share more information than that with your prospective payer - like passwords, for instance. They'd have no need of that information.

Please let us know if you have any other questions about this. If you come back after this chat is closed, feel free to begin a new thread and link back to this one.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

This week's Community Chat is now open and unlocked! 

Our moderator staff will be available for the next hour to answer your questions about PayPal, get to know you, or just have idle conversation.  We do ask that posts follow the PayPal Community Help Forum Policy and the Forum Guidelines.

Once the session is over, this thread will be locked again, but you will be able to view the content in the forums.  This chat is a regular feature every Wednesday from 4-5 PM CST, so if you missed us this week, please feel free to stop by in the future! We want to get to know you!

We've seen one of the largest lotteries ever over the last few weeks.  What if you had won the lottery?  What would you do with your prize money? Would you take a lump sum payout or not?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone!

What would I do if I won the lottery? Hmmmm. (We need a thinky emoticon here.)

Well, here's the reasonable plan:

• First, I would pay off all my own debt, and all the debt belonging to my immediate family members*.
  • Then, I would find a couple of friends with great fashion sense and do a What Not to Wear style overhaul of my wardrobe.
  • Next, I would take some time off work and do a tour of the country to visit friends and family I haven't seen in years.
  • Penultimately, I'd take all but a little extra fun money and make some long term investments, and try to forget that any of it still exists, and go back about my daily routine as if nothing happened.
  • Finally, I'll enjoy a comfortable retirement at a reasonable age, without having to worry if Social Security lasts that long. 🙂

But more realistically, I'd probably buy a bunch of stuff I don't need and eat lots and lots of rich food and gain too much weight, and then appear on TV on some sort of special about lottery winners who burned through their money too fast, and then I'd negotiate my way onto a reality show, where I'd embarrass my friends and family. 😉

Olivia

*I had to cut it off at immediate family members. Otherwise, I'd have quadruple cousins thrice-removed coming out of the woodwork!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

PayPal_Adrian wrote:

See, I wouldn't pay off anyones debt barring the small loan I still have out.  Then again, my family would actually take it as an affront if I paid off their debts for them Smiley Happy

I would, however, set up trusts for my children, purchase a medium sized home and a reasonable car, and proceed to sock the rest away to earn residual income Smiley Wink

And I'd still keep working for PayPal!  In fact, I don't think I could quit working... that's just not me!  Smiley Very Happy  My next vacation, however, might be VERY enjoyable! 

Login to Me Too

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello,

If I won the lottery I can think of several ways to spend the money. Here are just a few (not in any certain order).

1. Pay off my debt (Car, House, Student Loans and the other bills that come along).
  2. Pay off debt and give immediate family members a share.
  3. Build an AMAZING Photography Studio!
  4. Invest my money to plan for an early retirement.
  5. Start a college fund for my son.
  6. Go on an Exotic Vacation.
  7. Help the homeless.
  8. Donate to a fund of some sort, maybe a Non-profit organization.
  9. And just live life.

~Misty

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hello,

I would take the lump sum and purchase all the alpacas and llamas in the world.

Seriously though, I would pay off my debt, any family member's debt, pay for younger family member's education, donate to charity.  I'm not sure what I would do with the rest.

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

PayPal_Frank wrote:

Seriously though, I would pay off my debt, any family member's debt, pay for younger family member's education, donate to charity.  I'm not sure what I would do with the rest.

Hmm, I suppose I should have included charity in there too. Now I feel like a heel. Gee thanks, Frank.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.