Community Chat 2/15/12 - CLOSED

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our weekly Community Chat on Wednesday, February 15th, from 4 to 5 PM CST (2-3 PM PST). 

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal - or just to get to know you. This thread will remain locked until the chat is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board.  As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Contact Us" and selecting help via phone or email.

See you then!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

Dfmplz
New Community Member
Hi , I'm new to Paypal and have a question I'm purchasing a product from a stranger in a different state (both live in US) and want to know the safest way to protect myself in case of fraud. I read that "gift" ing payment is not recommended . Also if the seller says the purchase amount is $100 plus Paypal fees , what does that mean ? How much do I send to the seller that includes the Paypal fees ? Thanks for your help
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Dfmplz -

Welcome to the Community!

We're typing up a response and will have more information for you shortly.

In the meantime, please feel free to answer today's icebreaker.

Adrian

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Dfmplz -

Let's tackle this one bit at a time Smiley Happy

@Dfmplz wrote:
I read that "gift" ing payment is not recommended .

Definitely correct on this one.  Sending the funds as a Personal payment voids any protections for both parties.

Also if the seller says the purchase amount is $100 plus Paypal fees , what does that mean ?

This sounds like your seller wants you to pay the fees they would normally pay to PayPal to receive a payment.  This is actually against our Legal Agreement and you are not required to do so.

I'm new to Paypal and ... want to know the safest way to protect myself in case of fraud.

One of the best ways to protect yourself from fraud is to use PayPal.  With our Protection Program, you'll be able to file a dispute for Non-Receipt (if you don't receive any packages) or even Significantly Not as Described (if you do receive it, but there is a significant issue).  More great information about our protections and how they work can be found in our Security Center.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
@PayPal_Olivia wrote:

Frank only posted that as a favorite word to drive me nuts. Which is only fair, because Adrian picked the subject of semantics for the same reason.

No, I didn't pick it for that reason.  Smiley Happy As you are well aware, I love semantics.  Our previous conversations in the day just happened to get me started on the subject, and so I wanted to explore it more.  Smiley Happy
And, besides cattywampus and xylophone, I would have to say my next favorite words at the moment are both nebulous and squamous.
Yep, I've definitely been reading too much HP Lovecraft again.  Robot Mad
Adrian

Login to Me Too

Dfmplz
New Community Member
Thank you for the prompt response . I appreciate the reply 🙂
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

@Dfmplz wrote:
Thank you for the prompt response . I appreciate the reply 🙂

You're welcome!  If you run into more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!  If the Community Chat has ended, post a question in the Ask the Community boards for other Community members to answer.  Smiley Happy

Thanks again!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

RusticSandy
Contributor
Contributor

Would it be possible to somehow have a total amount of Shipping Postage Paid somewhere in the future?   (annual financial statement, monthly sales reports, etc.)

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

@RusticSandy wrote:

Would it be possible to somehow have a total amount of Shipping Postage Paid somewhere in the future?   (annual financial statement, monthly sales reports, etc.)

Thanks for the feedback. 🙂  As a seller myself, I know it would be very helpful to have that precalculated.  Right now we have to download the shipping transaction history as a PDF or spreadsheet file and total those values.

If you go under the Reports section, there is a "Transaction Finder" option.  You can choose the "Shipping" transaction type to just show shipping payments for a period then download the report.  This will show all PayPal shipping payments and make it easier to sum the values.

If you're using eBay shipping, you'll select the transaction type as "Billing Agreement" and enter "eBay" as the keyword search.

I hope this makes sense. 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Thank you to everyone for participating in this week's chat session! 

The weekly chat session is now closed.  All thread content will remain viewable, but locked.  Any questions that have not yet been responded to by a moderator or employee will receive a response within the next hour.

If you missed chatting with us today, please come back next Wednesday, February 22nd, at 4PM Central time. We'd love to meet you!

See you then!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.