Community Chat 1/22 - Closed

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hey everybody!

Join the PayPal Community Forums moderation team in our weekly Global Community Chat on Tuesday, January 22nd, from 4 to 5 PM CDT (2-3 PM PDT). 

Our moderator staff will be here to answer your questions regarding PayPal - or just to get to know you. This thread will remain locked until the chat is open, so if you have a question you'd like to see answered by the community before then, please feel free to post a topic by clicking on "Post a Topic" and selecting the appropriate board.  As always, PayPal customer service can be reached by clicking on "Contact Us" and selecting help via phone or email.

See you then!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
30 REPLIES 30

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

This week's Global Community Chat is now open and unlocked! 

Our moderator staff will be available for the next hour to answer your questions about PayPal, get to know you, or just have idle conversation.  We do ask that posts follow the PayPal Community Help Forum Policy and the Forum Guidelines.

Once the session is over, this thread will be locked again, but you will be able to view the content in the forums.  This chat is a regular feature every Tuesday from 4-5 PM CDT, so if you missed us this week, please feel free to stop by in the future! We want to get to know you!

I'm not always able to create an ice breaker every week.  The other moderators have been wonderful, witty, and kind in sharing their ideas and input with me and with the Community.  So, in celebration of all the Community Chats we've held over the last two years, we're going to take a break from the usual ice breakers and open up the floor for discussion led entirely by... you.  Enjoy! Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

Ah...chat time. Let's see...our ice breaker is....wait. What? I..what are we doing? There's no question! I...I don't know what to do. ~Wanders away~  I need direction!!

🙂

Andy

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone!

I was about to be sad and think we'd have nothing to talk about, and then we were saved!

Welcome Scott444, tinuzzo, and ChristianW95!

- Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi everyone! 🙂

So no icebreaker this week, huh Adrian? tsk tsk 😉  What was your favorite icebreaker that we've done?
  (see what I did there? 🙂 )

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

@PayPal_Frank wrote:

Hi everyone! 🙂

So no icebreaker this week, huh Adrian? tsk tsk 😉  What was your favorite icebreaker that we've done?
  (see what I did there? 🙂 )

- Frank

My favorite icebreaker was the one you came up with.  Now what was it? Smiley Wink (see what I did there?)

Login to Me Too

tinuzzo

Hi there,

when will you have a PHP wrapper for PayFlow API?

Login to Me Too

Scott444
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone, I have a good subject for today (I think), please give me a moment to write it up!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

@Scott444 wrote:

Hi everyone, I have a good subject for today (I think), please give me a moment to write it up!

We're here for the next hour, so you'll have plenty of time to write it up properly.  Share when ready! 

- Adrian

Login to Me Too

Scott444
Contributor
Contributor

Glad I found this "open forum" last night and was able to get to a computer during the hour.

There have been several discussion threads (on other forums) about this, and hopefully you guys can clear this up.

I am in the U.S., and I sell vinyl record LPs on eBay.  I would like to open my auction listings to international buyers, but there seems to be a "glitch in the matrix" which makes this impossible to do and have ANY protection at all from people who are targeting U.S. sellers for fraud.

The problem is the requirement of "Signature Confirmation".  As far as I have been able to find out, there is no way for a U.S. seller to obtain "Signature Confirmation" if using the USPS, unless (maybe, not confirmed) a U.S. seller uses USPS "Global Express Guaranteed", which is obscenely expensive and subcontracted out to FedEx (which is the real reason why a Signature Confirmation could/would be acquired as part of the transaction).

If my understanding is correct, this puts ALL U.S. sellers at an unbelievable disadvantage when it comes to competition on the "global" market.

For example, a Seller in the UK can sell his record LP to a U.S. buyer, say it's a $500 original UK Beatles Lp.  The UK seller can send it by Royal AirMail, inusred and Registered (requiring Signature Confirmation) for roughly $35.  When it arrives in the U.S., the postman will NOT hand that package over without obtaining a Signature Confirmation.

This means the Seller has practically zero risk.  If the U.S. post office loses Registered Mail after they have taken possession, the insurance covers it.  The important part: if the Post Man obtains the "Signature Confirmation", then the Buyer CANNOT file an "Item Not Received" claim.

This is key, because there are people targeting U.S. Sellers for this very reason:  a U.S. seller CANNOT obtain "Signature Confirmation" without spending $100+ for the same package (for my LP boxes, in this example).  U.S Global Express is about $106 + insurance, UPS, DHL and FedEx are all $120 to $165 or so.

So everyone around the world can ship their items (LP record albums in my example) for about $35 and have practically zero risk.  But U.S. sellers cannot send the exact same package overseas for less than $100, because if we do, we can't get "Signature Confirmation", in which case we have ZERO protection if someone commits fraud by filing an "Item Not Received" claim after they get the record album (or other product).

All of which means I am at a competitive disadvantage that is insurmountable.  If I charge three times as much for shipping as my overseas competitiors (i.e., $100+ vs. $35), nobody is ever going to buy an album from me and pay $100+ shipping.  So my only alternative is to go "naked" (without any Seller Protection) by using the USPS which WILL NOT obtain a "Signature Confirmation", leaving me WIDE OPEN to a fraudulent "Item Not Received" claim.

Why are U.S. sellers being singled out and penalized in this manner, and what can be done to rectify this situation?  Because as it stands, more and more people are learning about this "loop-hole" in the "system" and exploiting it.

It's easy to do.  Hop on U.S. ebay, find a Seller with expensive items.  If he doesn't ship internationally, move on to the next one, until you find one who ships internationally.  The criminal knows I can't get "Signature Confirmation" unless I'm charging $100 for shipping, and the criminal knows I can't charge $100 for shipping and expect to sell anything, so basically if a U.S. seller is shipping Internationally, then he's a prime target.

The criminal can bid as much as he likes (guaranteeing he'll win) because he knows he will get his money back as soon as he receives the item in his country and files an "Item Not Received" claim.  Paypal refunds his money, plus shipping costs, and he keeps my $500 album.

On the to the victim.

No one except U.S. sellers are targeted for this "scam", because everyone else around the world can get cheap "Signature Confirmation" to protect themselves, while it is known far and wide that Americans are sending their packages "naked", i.e., no "Signature Confirmation" is possible unless they price themselves out of the market.

What can we do?

(thank you for this forum and taking time to read my long message!!!)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.