PayPal 'Here' card reader battery life

vikingtone
Contributor
Contributor

hi.  I have had one experiment with the card reader, at a craft sale yesterday.  So far I have had a few issues with the reader, which I will investigate further via these pages.  My first queston is:  does anyone have any experience with the card reader battery life?  I charged the thing fully, but it went totally flat and turned off after three hours.  I feel this is quite poor. After all, I suppose a number of people will want to use this thing the way I have, at a craft fair where access to power was very limited.  I need the card reader to be alive a heck of a lot longer thatn 3 hours.  I could conceivably re-charge overnight, but 3 hours is just not enough.  Any other experiences would be very valuable, thanks

I do find it frustrating. The 'rules' about where to post are not accurate. This post has nothing to do with selling on eBay, selling from my website, or reversals.   OK, there has to be structure, but if there is to be structure it needs to encompass all the possibilities

Login to Me Too
92 REPLIES 92

Otterly
New Community Member
I have had my reader for a few months, but have only had to use it once in that time. I now have need to use it again, and it is dead. I am charging it now, but how do i even know if it is charged? The Bluetooth light is flashing now, is it charged? Still charging? Broken?! Who knows. Trying to find this info in the instructions is impossible, same with on the site. Maybe I am not looking in the right place. Having skimmed this thread, it would seem I am not alone in having battery issues. When I received it, i charged it up, then a couple of days later when I wanted to use it, it was flat. Had to charge again. It has also been turning itself on for no reason, while it is in it's box! No wonder it is always flat. I thought the recent update to it would bring improvements, but nope, flat as a pancake. I am going to complain and get it exchanged, I think it was a year for warranty. However, others have said the new unit is just the same, why is paypal doing nothing? Also, if I get a replacement and it is the same, will I get another exchange? Will it keep happening until my warranty is up, or does warranty start again with each new unit?! The only reason i wanted the reader was so I could take mail order credit card payments. My other option at the time was World Pay, beginning to think I should have gone with them instead =/ only reason i went for Paypal was because their reader was cheaper at the time i purchased, and because I have been a loyal paypal customer for 15 years. Guess loyalty means nothing nowadays! I will leave it to charge overnight, see how it is tomorrow.
Login to Me Too

vikingtone
Contributor
Contributor

hi,  yes indeed, your experiences are very much like a number of people on here.  One other thing I find difficult to assess is when I have ,anaged to turn the thing off properly. On a number of occasions I have thought it's off, only todiscover it still on.  I doubt that helps the battery life.     I imagine the warranty is one year, and when that time is up, that's it.   I need to decide what to do   -   I don't even know if a refund is available.  I do regret coming down this route now   -  as with yourself, my thought process was to assume PayPal would only offer a really good piece of kit. This has been a disappointment and a let-down.

Login to Me Too

AJLA1
Contributor
Contributor

My device does not turn off either although it appears to. 

This is my second unit which I purchased for my summer event trading season, thus far it is hugely dissappointing and not served the purpose for which it was bought.  Probably used a handfull of times until now because of this issue as it has constanly let me down.

How interesting it would be for a bit of feedback from PayPal.

Login to Me Too

krish0nan
Contributor
Contributor

These things are crap.

I bought one and it did not hold charge, then thinking it was a 1 off bought another, its the same.

Totally rubbish product, they should withdraw it from sale and put them all into a box and launch it towards the sun, to explode and melt and die.

Login to Me Too

mtpserv
New Community Member

I agree, I had one of the first ones in the UK and it has always had a dreadful battery life.

It is almost completely unusable unless it is plugged in all the time. Rubbish!

Login to Me Too

vikingtone
Contributor
Contributor

I keep hoping PayPal will respond to some comments on here. They did in the early days, I guess it's not important.   I even logged a help call to their email help desk. I received no response whatsoever, other than a request to fill in a survey asking about my Help service experience. I filled out the survey saying I'd had no response, was not happy, and had not received a solution, and that has been ignored as well.  PayPal are acting just like the monopoly they are.  If you don't like it, take a hike, I guess, is their view.

Login to Me Too

mvc

I'm on my third reader in less than 5 months.  Each time it refused to hold a charge and then even turn on.

I was told by the helpdesk that I wasn't turning it off correctly.  I was, checked each time that no lights came on by pressing buttons to check.  Silly on/off button anyway.

I've ended up several times having to manually enter a sale which naturally costs much more.  Its not good enough.

Turned my reader on this morning to use - fully charged on 24th, just 3 days ago and its been correctly turned off since.  Lost its charge in that time so now having to charge and hope I don't need it for a customer in the meantime.  

Also it will only charge plugged into the computer, not with a wall charger.

Login to Me Too

Carnation
Contributor
Contributor

Yes the charger wouldn't charger pluggd into the wall - first piecce of equipment I've had like this! Still waiting for my refund which was promised when I spoke to the helpdesk. You don't need the card reader just use your mobile phone, the app can hold several product lines which is ideal for me.

Login to Me Too

oolabalooba
New Community Member

I have struggled with this useless device for weeks. PayPal have replaced the device but the same problem exists.

On/off button useless. Battery life useless. My Customers are unimpressed. Very unprofessional .

Come on paypal, get your act together !!!!

Login to Me Too

vikingtone
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, unfortunately you are experiencing the same problems as a number of other users.  I don't believe PayPal is monitoring this at all, so as good as it is for you to share your frustrations on here, Iam not sure any rsolution will be forthcoming.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.