PayPal Here Card Reader - Flashing Red and green Light

idevicefixer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Having problems with this card reader, its poor battery life causes problems to start with, but yesterday in the middle of a customer keying in their pin it just started flashing green and red.

I have tried holding the reset button down, for very long periods! it just reboots, starts flashing green and eventually the red light is added to this flashing green light.

I have tried turning it off and on again, holding the sync button but nothing is working. 

I have called (friday morning) and arranged for a new one to be sent out, which I wont get until wednesday apparently! 

This leaves me stuck as far as being able to take payments. It needs to be done with a pin number as the payments are around £100 on average, I dont want someone going to their bank and saying that wasnt me, the banks will just give them their money back as its not been authorised with chip and pin!

Is there any way I can reset this device in an attempt to get it working again? 

(Ive followed instructions to reset, but it doesnt seem to do anything other than reboot the thing)

Also, no matter what I do, I cannot get the bluetooth light to illuminate at all.

Thanks

Ian

Login to Me Too
35 REPLIES 35

PseudoSanity
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the info on iZettle Card readers Dom, great deal on hotukdeals.

Again I am now yet another one of the dozens of people added to these forum list of complaints for these expensive unreliable and most likely,  planned obsolescence Paypal / Miura Payments Card Readers with the dreaded RED & GREEN flashing lights of Death that all seem to be failing very recently!

I am completely suprised how a multimillion corp like paypal treats their customers with next to no after sales/warranty care or support except, did you reboot it?  Hmm, did you factory reboot it when they know full well these devices are clearly faulty as made obvious and revealing with a phone call I had to a paypal rep who hinted he knew the issue straight away.   

There solution, buy another one! its really OLD, after just two years and just a handful of uses.   Oh, as the customer is clearly sounding frustrated, here's a coupon for 10% off for another new  £70+ new reader that will probably fail again outside of warranty.  Wow, I'm so chuffed...

Although the warranty has expired on many of these peoples devices, this is clearly a known hardware FAULT which is irelevant to warranty as they're clearly not fit for purpose, apart from the obvious failing circumstances in the many of these threads of the exact same issues.  

This clearly warrants an investigation and possibly a class action lawsuit.  It's truely tiring how many big corp companies get away with issues like this that occur every day.

Just noticed this thread has had not far from 6000 Views!  Do you think you're hiding a issue Paypal?

Anyway, time to move on like changing cars, internet, mobile providers....etc etc.

Login to Me Too

gl100
Contributor
Contributor

Same old story here Im afraid. Phoned Paypal, and he told me that it has either been dropped or someone has tried to open it. Apparanetly the red/green flashing light means that the internal anti-tamper device has been activated.

Now heres the funny part - the reader has NEVER been out of my possession so no one else has had access to it,

it has never been dropped or maltreadted in any way since new, having been kept in a foam lined case that I keep all my other work related gadgets with me which I need every day,

Has only been used a few times as most of my clients (Im a gas engineer) pay by BACS.

Im sure that these devices have some kind of self destruct mechanism in them whereas they only last a certain amount of time.

Also its always been kept in the see through plastic box it came in, so the story which PAYPAL suggested to me is very weak and pathetic, and quite frankly is an attck on my MENSA certified level of intelligence.

Im really thinking about going to trading standards about this after reading all of the other posts here,

Im not going to let this go after reading all these posts. I have today very reluctantly bought a V2 from PAYPAL and shall be monitoring this very carefully.

Im sure that there is something in EU Law about warranties and things being guaranteed for a lot longer than a year. I shall be researching this also.

Its not the money, but a matter of principle as I dont like being hoodwinked and had over by multi million corps.

Watch this space. This is just the beginning !

Login to Me Too

Mo31
Contributor
Contributor

I am so glad someone at least understands. I felt PayPal had ripped me off as a seasonal trader, I only used the device a few times, packed it away. The next time I switched it on, their went the red light flashes. Real cheats Paypal !

Login to Me Too

PseudoSanity
Contributor
Contributor
Hopefully the more active this thread gets from disgruntled customers, the higher the chance of looking into group action litigation against Paypals claims of device tamper. My guess is the old devices are insecure for newer payment standards and have gradually been issued a kill switch via the update of firmware, therefore forcing you to buy their newer product. Makes zero sense why anyone of PayPal "customers" would want to hack, tamper with their products. Pretty **bleep** insulting. Still zero comment or feedback from any paypal reps for months in this thread...disgusting and ignorant.
Login to Me Too

strobe
New Community Member

My story 

I used this device for 1 maybe 2 times , now I need it for tomorrow and I have the dreaded re green flashing light , not able to do a factory reset  no blue tooth , no nothing.

I have had a merchant account with my bank and the same terminal for years , no problems . support small business Paypal

Login to Me Too

AnneArtist
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree with your sentiments. I'm appalled at the device. I used it for 2 days 2 years ago and originally was pleased with my investment (I'm an artist and £70 is a lot of money to me) thinking it would last me for a long time. Today, I took the reader out of its hard plastic box and hey presto, red/green blinking LED's. The reader has been stored carefully alongside other hardware stuff and has definitely NOT been tampered with. I feel totally and utterly ripped off by paypal.

Luckily, my next venue for an art show is next to a cash point. Its the only choice I have now 😞

Update

I've just checked for complaints in the UK about products and can share the following link: https://www.theretailombudsman.org.uk/

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.