PayPal Here Card Reader - Flashing Red and green Light

idevicefixer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Having problems with this card reader, its poor battery life causes problems to start with, but yesterday in the middle of a customer keying in their pin it just started flashing green and red.

I have tried holding the reset button down, for very long periods! it just reboots, starts flashing green and eventually the red light is added to this flashing green light.

I have tried turning it off and on again, holding the sync button but nothing is working. 

I have called (friday morning) and arranged for a new one to be sent out, which I wont get until wednesday apparently! 

This leaves me stuck as far as being able to take payments. It needs to be done with a pin number as the payments are around £100 on average, I dont want someone going to their bank and saying that wasnt me, the banks will just give them their money back as its not been authorised with chip and pin!

Is there any way I can reset this device in an attempt to get it working again? 

(Ive followed instructions to reset, but it doesnt seem to do anything other than reboot the thing)

Also, no matter what I do, I cannot get the bluetooth light to illuminate at all.

Thanks

Ian

Login to Me Too
35 REPLIES 35

Mo31
Contributor
Contributor

The Issue is that these machines are breaking down so often some of us have used them once or twice then broken down say just after a year. That means you can not get a replacement as you state. I guess Paypal is aware the reader will break down just after a year and you will have to pay for another machine which I find very disappointing.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi COMTEK, 

Welcome to the community. 

Please firstly try a full factory reset. Here's how:

1.  Locate the small opening next to the power button on the Chip & PIN card reader.
  2.  Insert a pin into this opening and hold it until you see the green triangle flash 8 times and one asterisk sign lit up. This indicates that the device has undergone a factory reset.
  3.  Once the Bluetooth light starts blinking, pair the card reader to your smartphone or iPad and open the PayPal Here app.
  4.  Complete any initialisation or updates if the App prompts you to. We recommend that you complete this step using a WiFi connection and with the card reader connected to a power source.
  5.  Once the card reader has been initialised and the software update has been completed (if needed), the card reader is ready to be used for payments.

Let us know how you get on,

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

slowhand1
New Community Member

Hi there,

I have the same problem. I had this reader for about 3 years. I used it maybe 10 times. It's just an option I offer my customers as i prefer bank transfers. However, I am not very happy about buying another one for £80. I've hardly used it and despite it's 3 years old I was hoping PayPal would just take this one back. It is like new and it's a pity it had such a short lifespan. 

Login to Me Too

Sammydog13
New Community Member

Hi, my device is flashing green and red interchangeably. Only been used a couple of times. Tried factory reset but it won't do anything other than green lights for a bit then reverts to red and green. Please advise. Needed for event on sat.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi Sammydog13,

So sorry for the delayed response, if you are still experiencing issues with this after the factory reset you can call the PayPal Here team directly on<removed> <removed> or email us at <removed>  We'd like to help get to the bottom of this.

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

StephenRMartin
New Community Member
I used my card reader once. It was out of guarantee -2 years old, I've been told that I will need to buy a new one. My card reader has a red/green flashing light. Reading the previous submissions and taking account of my experience I would suggest that the card readers are unreliable and advise people not to buy them. I spent just under £70 and got told rudely that the device is broken and I will need to purchase another.
Login to Me Too

surfmonkeyuk
Contributor
Contributor

mine hasnt been switched on for a while but as i need it next weekend i just charged it and i'm getting the same red and green flashing....i've used it twice since i payed for it

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi surfmonkeyuk,

Sorry to hear this, have you tried the factory reset? When was the reader purchased, if it was within the last 12 months you should be within your warranty period. 

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

rahandco

I have done several resets but still get flashing red and green lights and no bluetooth signal.  Advice please

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hey Rahandco.

Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing difficulties with your device after trying to complete a factory reset. 

Can you please try reaching out to our PayPal Here team directly on  <removed> or <removed> and we can look into this further for you. If possible, we will try and arrange a replacement card reader to be sent out to you.

David.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.