Card Reader Factory Reset

PayPal_Siobhán

When should I do a factory reset on the Card Reader?

In some cases, a factory reset can solve a problem you are experiencing with your Chip & PIN card reader. Some of the cases we have seen in the past are:

• The card reader is not identifying bank cards that it previously did
  • The card reader can’t be paired to your smartphone or iPad anymore
  • Once paired, the card reader is not recognised in the app
  • The software update on the card reader fails

How do I perform a factory reset?

1.  Locate the small opening next to the power button on the Chip & PIN card reader.
  2.  Insert a pin into this opening and hold it until you see the green triangle flash 8 times and one asterisk sign lit up. This indicates that the device has undergone a factory reset.
  3.  Once the Bluetooth light starts blinking, pair the card reader to your smartphone or iPad and open the PayPal Here app.
  4.  Complete any initialisation or updates if the App prompts you to. We recommend that you complete this step using a WiFi connection and with the card reader connected to a power source.
  5.  Once the card reader has been initialised and the software update has been completed (if needed), the card reader is ready to be used for payments.

If you continue to experience problems with your card reader after the factory reset, please contact Customer Support.

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

lix72
New Community Member

Thank you so much! This was the first time I've had an issue with my card reader. I hit the reset button and chose option 2 which was just to reboot the software and I was able to pair the device again.

My unit had just frozen up. It was on and charged up and was saying to open the Here app but I couldn't turn it off and reboot from the power button or get the BlueTooth button to respond either.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hey Lix72,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm glad to hear that this worked for you and helped to resolve the issues that you were encountering.

If there is anything else that we can do to help you in future, you know where to find us Smiley Wink

David.

Login to Me Too

linzetra01
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried this and it still flashing green for more than 8 flashes and then goes red & green !? 

I dont get any asterix lighting up .. and still no blue sync light !

Please help I really need this machine to work for my business... Ive only used it fully a few times last xmas and need it again this xmas. 

thanks 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi linzetra01,

We have responded to your previous post. 

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Clintonm
Contributor
Contributor
I am having exactly the same issue. What was the steps to recover?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi Clintonm, 

Can I ask what issues you are experiencing with the reader? We'll do our best to help!

Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Clintonm
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for reply. When powered on The green light flashes about 16 times, then pauses for 5 seconds and then flashes green again for about 20 times, then it flashes alternating green and red. I've tried to push and hold the reset button for 8 flashes then release but same thing happens. No buttons other than the power button seem to work
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Thanks for the additional information Clintonm,

Have you managed to perform the full factory re-set? Can I ask that you try this once more,  forget your device through Bluetooth settings & then re-pair.

Also, have you completed any initialisation or updates if the App prompts you to?

After the factory reset, if your PayPal Here reader still does not connect (i.e if there is a flashing red and green triangle or the Bluetooth light does not flash) please call our dedicated customer service team on <removed>  who will be able to help.

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Dinnages
Contributor
Contributor

Have exactly the same issue.

Tried the factory reset

...still flashing green for more than 8 flashes and then goes red & green !? 

I dont get any asterix lighting up .. and still no blue sync light !

Neither of my i5 phones see the card reader.

20 odd green triangle flashes then it alternates red/green.

Asterisks only flash at start when rest button pushed.

Bluetooth sign never comes on.

Been used regularly on another phone (not iphone).

Somehow this has lost its memory or something in connecton.

Dealer in transport books, badges, greeting cards and more
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.