phishing emails

carboot

I have received an email which I am sure is a phishing scam. The advice in this forum is to report it to Paypal. How do I do this? Can I forward it to them so that they have all the details?

The email is from -    service  at  paypal (in the form of an email address which I cannot paste into this)

It reads as follows:-

We need your help resolving an issue with your account :Dear ,
To give us time to work together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with your account until the issue is resolved.
We understand it may be frustrating not to have full access to your PayPal account.we want to work with you to get your account back to normal as quickly as possible.
What's the problem ?
It's been a little while since you used your account.For reasons relating to the safe use of the PayPal service we need some more information about your account.
Case number: PP-001-107-777-703
It's usually quite straight forward to take care of these things.Most of the time, we just need some more information about your account! or latest transactions.
1. Download the attached document and open it in a browser window secure. 2. Confirm that you are the account holder and follow the instructions
Thank you for your cooperation.
Yours sincerely,
Protection Services Department.

Please do not reply to this email because we are not monitoring this inbox. To get in touch with us, log in to your account and click "Contact Us" at the bottom of any page.
Copyright © 2013 P ayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A.
Société en Commandite par Actions
Registered office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-2449 Luxemburg
RCS Luxemburg B 118 349

PayPal Email ID PP026

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

1. Paypal always address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

2. 1. Download the attached document and open it in a browser window secure. 2. Confirm that you are the account holder and follow the instructions

Paypal NEVER tell you to enter sensitive account info via a link or a downloaded attachment !!!!

You can forward it on to spoof@paypal.com if you want but they must get loads of that email as I have seen it many times over the years.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

carboot

Thank you

Login to Me Too

carboot

I have finally found my answer in the paypal pages - but in case it helps someone else,  here it is:

Fake emails, also known as 'phishing' or 'spoof' emails, attempt to trick you into revealing personal or financial information such as bank account details, credit card details and passwords etc. These fake emails often link to fake (spoof) websites where your information can be collected if you type it.

You’ll know that an email is not from PayPal when:

• The email uses a generic greeting like ‘Dear user’ or ‘Hello, PayPal member.’ We'll always address you by your first and last name or the business name on your PayPal account.
  • The email requests financial and other personal information. A real email from us will never ask for your bank account number, debit or credit card number etc. Also we'll never ask for your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions in an email.
  • The email asks you to provide the tracking number of a dispatched item, before you've received the payment into your PayPal account
  • The email includes a software update to install on your computer.

Here are some security tips to help you stay protected online:

• Even if a URL contains the word 'PayPal', it may not be a PayPal webpage.
  • When using PayPal, always ensure that the URL address listed at the top of the browser displays as https://www.paypal.com. The 's' in ‘https’ means the website is secure.
  • Look for the 'lock' symbol that appears in the address bar. This symbol indicates that the site you are visiting is secure.

If you think you’ve received a phishing email, forward it to spoof@paypal.co.uk and then delete the fake email from your mailbox. If you‘ve responded to a fraudulent email and believe your PayPal account may now have been accessed, you should report the unauthorised access immediately.

Note:

• If you provided any personal information in response to a phishing email or on a spoof website, change your PayPal password and security questions immediately.
  • If you provided any financial information, contact your bank and your credit card issuer and tell them about the situation.
  • Review your PayPal account history to check that you recognise all recent payments.

Login to Me Too

bengeamanda
New Community Member

I just recieved this email and replied to it before I knew it money was missing from my account and then I noticed on the email it didnt even have my name just my email I hope I can get it fixed so I can get my money back

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Conor

Hi bengeamanda,

Welcome to the Community Forum and i'm very sorry to hear about this.

If you suspect you have responded to a non-genuine email, it is important that you contact us as soon as possible so we can help you secure your account.

You mention you are seeing unauthorised payments on your account?

If this is the case, you can report these payments as unauthorised by visiting the 'Resolution Centre' within your account and then clicking 'Report a problem'.

bengeamanda, you can call us toll free from 8am to 8.30pm by clicking 'contact us' at the bottom of your account. We are also very active on Twitter and can look after this for you if you send a tweet to @AskPayPal

I hope the helps,

Conor

Login to Me Too

andersgj
New Community Member

The advice to send to spoof@paypal.co.uk or spoof@paypal.com is all very well but whenever I do this the email is bounced

Host: lore.ebay.com

BLACKLIST

So not really a lot of use.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.