payment outside of ebay, but using paypal.

dan16_10
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

Yesterday, I agreed with a buyer to purchase an Ipad from ebay, but because he had already sold numerous items on ebay, he could not do this anymore. As a result, we agreed that we should do this transaction straight through paypal. Therefore, today he sent an invoice asking me to pay the ammount of money that we agreed upon, also including these elements:

Subject: PayPal money request for ipad 3rd generation

Note: ipad is basically brand new, no scratches or marks. Works fine, refunds are accepted.

As everything seemed ok, I decided to finalise the payment. However, after I paid for the item, I noticed that although he was claiming that he is from Merseyside, his postcode was beginning with CH, while the phone number which was listed was invalid. Then, I sent him a message on ebay, asking him to clarify these for me. However, since then more than 6 hours have passed and I still have not received anything. 

Therefore, can you please tell me, am I covered by Paypal's buyer protection, as if i will not receive anything, will I be able to claim my money back?

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
74 REPLIES 74

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bbtin

How did you pay for the item, what option did you use or did he send you an invoice or money request?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Bbtin
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Kernowlass,

Thank you for your reply .He asked me to send my paypal email address to him . And i use paypal to pay for watch .
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bbtin

As long as you don't use the family / friends option you should have buyer protection.

BUT you would need to make sure the seller described on the invoice EXACTLY what you are paying for.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Bbtin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kernowlass

Thank you for your reply, he asked me to send my paypal email to him and i use paypal to pay for the watch .

Login to Me Too

Bbtin
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Kernowlass,

Yes it is stated what kind of watch and from ebay . But does Paypal takes 1 or 2 days to proceed the refund please ?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bbtin

When he refunds you then you get an email from paypal and it would show in your paypal transaction history.

If it takes a few days to clear it would still show in your paypal balance but it would show as pending.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Bbtin
Contributor
Contributor

He said he already asked paypal to refund, but i have no email notification and no pending showns yet . So that means he is not doing it right ?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bbtin

Sounds like it.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Bbtin
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Kernowlass, so i should open an official dispute and what else should i do please ? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bbtin

Yes open a dispute if you have not received your item via the resolve a problem link lower left of your paypal summary page > put in exactly what has happened and escalate to a claim.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.