payment outside of ebay, but using paypal.

dan16_10
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

Yesterday, I agreed with a buyer to purchase an Ipad from ebay, but because he had already sold numerous items on ebay, he could not do this anymore. As a result, we agreed that we should do this transaction straight through paypal. Therefore, today he sent an invoice asking me to pay the ammount of money that we agreed upon, also including these elements:

Subject: PayPal money request for ipad 3rd generation

Note: ipad is basically brand new, no scratches or marks. Works fine, refunds are accepted.

As everything seemed ok, I decided to finalise the payment. However, after I paid for the item, I noticed that although he was claiming that he is from Merseyside, his postcode was beginning with CH, while the phone number which was listed was invalid. Then, I sent him a message on ebay, asking him to clarify these for me. However, since then more than 6 hours have passed and I still have not received anything. 

Therefore, can you please tell me, am I covered by Paypal's buyer protection, as if i will not receive anything, will I be able to claim my money back?

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
74 REPLIES 74

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Yesod

Yes as that is between you and ebay.

As you paid using goods / services you should be covered for non receipt.

Good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Yesod
Contributor
Contributor

Well, the fates were with me on this one.  The claim was opened but the seller never responded to Paypal's emails, so it was easy for Paypal to find in my favor.  Today the case was automatically closed, and my $999 was put back into my Paypal account.  I had the money transfered back to our bank account, and it will be there early next week.  Happy New Year to me!  

I told my wife, and after our shouts of glee, she asked, "So, what did you learn from this?"  I felt like a school child.  Which is appropriate, becase I used the judgment of a school child to get into this mess!

Well, I certainly did learn from this.  And I'm just glad that, in the end, I didn't have to pay anything more than a lot of stress!  

I just wanted to give you an update and thank you for your responses.  Happy New Year to you!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Yesod

Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

izzzzzz6
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys. I wanted to check if i am protected because i want to buy some hard drives from a private seller. He does not have a shop, he is just a private seller. The cost of the items is around £350. The reason i am asking is that i read in paypal terms and conditions that:
As a buyer

"Items Not Covered

Items like real estate, motorised vehicles (of any kind), custom-made items, industrial machinery (for manufacturing), prepaid cards, or items that violate our policies, anything you buy in person, or money transfers to friends or family."

As a seller:

"

Items Not Covered

Items that don't match your description, intangible items like services or digital goods, items that violate our policies, and items you sell or deliver in person. None of these items are covered."

So what does anything you buy/sell in person mean? Does it simply mean that you must have the item delivered?

Would i be covered if he has proof he sent the item and if the item never arrived or if the item was faulty?

Must he write a description of the item saying that it is fully working before i pay for it?

Could somone please clarify if i am protected if i buy these hard discs from him?

Thanks.
James

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@izzzzzz6

So what does anything you buy/sell in person mean? Does it simply mean that you must have the item delivered?

They mean if you collect an item in person.

Items that are collected or personally delivered are not covered.

Would i be covered if he has proof he sent the item and if the item never arrived or if the item was faulty?

Yes you have buyer protection but that is not a 100% coverall. For eg if the seller put on the invoice that you were buying a ''watch'' then he sent a toy watch you may well not win a dispute for item received but not as described as you received what was put on the invoice.

So always make sure the item is really well described on the invoice or money request before you pay or that you have described what you expect to receive if you use the goods / services option to pay.

Also what if he sends you an empty box? You need to risk assess your transaction, is this seller someone you can trust?

Also for a bit of added protection I always fund my paypal payments with a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

izzzzzz6
Contributor
Contributor

Great info. So i was almost there, just needed confirmation. 
  Who can you trust these days? I think it's going to go well i had just better check the box has something inside before the courier leaves. If i open an empty box in front of the courier will they back me up?
  Thanks again.
James

Login to Me Too

Merck93
New Community Member

So a motorised vehicle is not covered?

I am buying a Onewheel that is a sort of electric skateboard, would it be covered?

Login to Me Too

izzzzzz6
Contributor
Contributor

"So a motorised vehicle is not covered?

I am buying a Onewheel that is a sort of electric skateboard, would it be covered?"
  I am guessing this is not classified as a vehicle. More of a toy. Especially a balance board, they are fun but not exactly practicle transport, yet.

Login to Me Too

King_Zippy

Question:  A buyer won my ebay auction for a computer.  Buyer says he cannot pay through ebay via papypal becasue he is in a foreign country and the address on paypal does not match the shipping address in the US., Buyer wishes to pay with a direct invoice from paypal instead of typical ebay link.  Does this seem like a scam and will I be protected under paypal protection?

Also, is it possible that the funds added to my account might not settle or otherwise reverse later?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Yesod
Contributor
Contributor

It could be legitimate, but after my experience, I am leery of anything out of the ordinary and would hesitate to complete this deal.  I'd either call Paypal and ask them if you're covered or move on and give the next highest bidder a "2nd chance".

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.