payment outside of ebay, but using paypal.

dan16_10
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

Yesterday, I agreed with a buyer to purchase an Ipad from ebay, but because he had already sold numerous items on ebay, he could not do this anymore. As a result, we agreed that we should do this transaction straight through paypal. Therefore, today he sent an invoice asking me to pay the ammount of money that we agreed upon, also including these elements:

Subject: PayPal money request for ipad 3rd generation

Note: ipad is basically brand new, no scratches or marks. Works fine, refunds are accepted.

As everything seemed ok, I decided to finalise the payment. However, after I paid for the item, I noticed that although he was claiming that he is from Merseyside, his postcode was beginning with CH, while the phone number which was listed was invalid. Then, I sent him a message on ebay, asking him to clarify these for me. However, since then more than 6 hours have passed and I still have not received anything. 

Therefore, can you please tell me, am I covered by Paypal's buyer protection, as if i will not receive anything, will I be able to claim my money back?

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
74 REPLIES 74

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MariaDecuseara

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute paypal "tend" to favour the buyer HOWEVER they normally are asked to return the item back to you trackable and at their own expense before you have to refund.

But things do vary so all you can do is wait for paypals decision.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MariaDecuseara
Contributor
Contributor
Described how? Its ouside ebay , i discussed over the phone , details...thx anyway
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MariaDecuseara

And that may be why you could lose.

You needed to have put on an invoice etc a FULL description of the item that you were selling as paypal can't view an auction like they can on ebay.

So all paypal have is your word that you discussed the item with the buyer accurately on the phone, so as they have no proof to view the buyer would probably win.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MariaDecuseara
Contributor
Contributor
You may be right, but i still have the auction on ebay i ended , so i can give paypal link to ended auction , because is still viewable
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MariaDecuseara

They would not even consider looking at that as it was not an ebay transaction.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MariaDecuseara
Contributor
Contributor
Well this is non sense ...they logic us this i buy something i pay , i recive item , then inissue a refound . I send back tomseller a package with a piece of wood and i write in package that is a painti g and this way i get painting and money back...since post office dont k ow what is inside package ..they k ow only by what i write in paper....there no prof as a buyer to show patpal what i pay for ...since is only my word...... Very dangerous precedent ....
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MariaDecuseara

Its often one persons word against anothers but as the seller is the business end of the deal its up to them to protect themselves as much as possible.

That is why if i invoice someone for an off ebay sale i put in EVERYTHING to do with the item so the buyer can read and agree to it before they go ahead and pay.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Beyatli
New Community Member
A seller ask me to pay throgh paypal directly outside ebay. Can i do this with paypal protection? How? Thanx in advance
Login to Me Too

RazaRizvi
New Community Member

Hello, I have asked Ebay sellers to send me Paypal invoices themselves so that they can offer me a discount and pay less on their fees so its a win-win where I pay less and they gain more. Paypal is owned by Ebay now and all transactions are secured. IF you do not receive the item you ordered or do not receive anything at all you can open a dispute and receive your money back.

Login to Me Too

Yesod
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened to me--I bid on a Macbook and the seller sent me a message through ebay that he would sell me the computer for less if I paid directly through Paypal.  I agreed, so he canceled my bid, ended the auction early, and sent me an invoice from the "Good & Services" section of Paypal.  I paid him, and he sent me shipping info--a tracking number from the US Postal Service.  I even received an email from Paypal, saying my item was shipped; this was merely a formality though, as the email was generated when the seller clamed to have shipped the item. 

When I checked the tracking number he provided, it was not valid.  I emailed and texted the seller and receved no response. I quickly realized that I had been scammed.  I opened a dispute with Paypal and the seller has until 12/31 to respond.  

I have now come to see that I violated eBay policy by agreeing to buy an eBay item outside of eBay.  Am I still covered by Paypal's buyer protection?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.