payment outside of ebay, but using paypal.

dan16_10
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

Yesterday, I agreed with a buyer to purchase an Ipad from ebay, but because he had already sold numerous items on ebay, he could not do this anymore. As a result, we agreed that we should do this transaction straight through paypal. Therefore, today he sent an invoice asking me to pay the ammount of money that we agreed upon, also including these elements:

Subject: PayPal money request for ipad 3rd generation

Note: ipad is basically brand new, no scratches or marks. Works fine, refunds are accepted.

As everything seemed ok, I decided to finalise the payment. However, after I paid for the item, I noticed that although he was claiming that he is from Merseyside, his postcode was beginning with CH, while the phone number which was listed was invalid. Then, I sent him a message on ebay, asking him to clarify these for me. However, since then more than 6 hours have passed and I still have not received anything. 

Therefore, can you please tell me, am I covered by Paypal's buyer protection, as if i will not receive anything, will I be able to claim my money back?

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
74 REPLIES 74

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@markmartinswag

Hi, “gift” or “personal” payments are intended as transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.

On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member why would you use that option, enabling the seller to evade his paypal fees and negating your buyer protection at the same time.

Your seller was telling fibs anyway, there is still a paypal fee if you sent the payment via family / friends using either a debit or credit card as the funding source.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you.

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

markmartinswag
Contributor
Contributor
I funded it with a paypal balance... So I'm out the money I payed?
Login to Me Too

Freda12
Contributor
Contributor

If you sent as friend and family you won't get any money back and you have no PayPal protection 

Login to Me Too

Peadermul
Contributor
Contributor

Yes

That it's true, Paypal has a dispute process but it really is a lot of work. Also they send you notifications rather than emails in all cases and this means you have to check your paypal account every day.

If there is a typo of your name on the police report it will not be accepted which is fair enough but will they point out the issue? No!! 

They constantly put time limits on your reply times so that eventually you feel like a criminal.

They close the case behind your back, without emailing you so that the appeal process falls outside the time frame and the case is closed.

Basically they make no effort to investigate anything just put up a series of hoops for you to jump through until you get tired and the case falls away.

Login to Me Too

LeeRoque

Evening Dian,

I have a similar situation. I was looking at a Macbook that was running through an auction. The seller had a note saying "A buy it now price can be discussed." We agreed on a price of $700. This seller was a new seller but I have dealt with new sellers before and haven't had any problems. so I proceeded with the payment. The seller contacted me that PayPal won't allow them to send a bill of $700 so he has to divide it into 2 payments, $200 and $500. I contacted th seller right after making the payments and he took the item off Ebay. The transaction was made last Friday, September 26th and the seller noted that he got my payments and will ship the Macbook first thing Monday. Its now Wednesday and I have sent the seller multiple messages through Ebay asking for the tracking information. He has not responded to me  and now when I visit the seller's page, I notice he has relisted the item. I tried contacted the seller shortly after, inquiring why he relisted the item. He has not responded to any of my messages.

What Should I do?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You can try opening a dispute for non receipt of item HOWEVER you may well have lost buyer protection by paying in instalments !!!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Conor

Hi LeeRoque,

Welcome to our Community Forum!

This is a tricky one, as you mentioned you split the payment when purchasing this item.

I'm afraid PayPal does not offer Buyer Protection for payments split like this, you see.

Nevertheless, I still think it's worthwhile for you to open a dispute here: http://ow.ly/CnCbr The dispute may encourage the Seller to ship the item or even refund the payment.

I wish I had better news for you LeeRoque but I suggest you go ahead and open a dispute sooner rather than later here,

Conor

Login to Me Too

Anayet

*delete*

Login to Me Too

darkhotaru
New Community Member

i had a similar issue and i just resolved it

I bought a ps4 from some guy on ebay and he instructed me to pay thru paypal. it was my 1st time doing that so i was unsure what to do. the guy got my money he gave me a tracking number and said the package was supposed to arrive on the 13th of december but the tracking number never updated the seller dissapeared and the package never arrived so fast foward to the 23rd and i managed to get my money back from the guy he had one negative feedback from a seller who had the same problem with a xbox one 

i wish i can report him but the feedback listing dosent show the item number 

Login to Me Too

MariaDecuseara
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

i have this proboem

i was selling a painting on ebay with 900euro and i got contacted by a buyer making me an offer of 600 , i say 700 and done deal , he told me to stop the auction and he will send me money with paypal , after i recived his money outside ebay , he says that if painting its not original he will issue a full refound. he asked me bofore if i have any papers saying painting is original and i told him I DONT HAVE . ....

now my question is this ...... lets assume he recive the paintin g and he open a refound for all 700 euros ....... says that "painting its not original" will paypal refound him in full ? i mean how he will DEMONSTRATE that painting its a fake or original??? notmally he should make an experise with signature and stamps of an expert leggaly entrusted with such expertises and show to paypal ..right? or anyone can say anything about anything ?

thank you

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.