payment outside of ebay, but using paypal.

dan16_10
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

Yesterday, I agreed with a buyer to purchase an Ipad from ebay, but because he had already sold numerous items on ebay, he could not do this anymore. As a result, we agreed that we should do this transaction straight through paypal. Therefore, today he sent an invoice asking me to pay the ammount of money that we agreed upon, also including these elements:

Subject: PayPal money request for ipad 3rd generation

Note: ipad is basically brand new, no scratches or marks. Works fine, refunds are accepted.

As everything seemed ok, I decided to finalise the payment. However, after I paid for the item, I noticed that although he was claiming that he is from Merseyside, his postcode was beginning with CH, while the phone number which was listed was invalid. Then, I sent him a message on ebay, asking him to clarify these for me. However, since then more than 6 hours have passed and I still have not received anything. 

Therefore, can you please tell me, am I covered by Paypal's buyer protection, as if i will not receive anything, will I be able to claim my money back?

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
74 REPLIES 74

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I would have pulled out at this stage " but because he had already sold numerous items on ebay, he could not do this anymore"................that is rubbish.

Whilst you may well get the item i strongly suspect it may not be as described and whether you get a refund will be up to paypal.

Any seller that refuses to relist on ebay for an item i want.......i would not be buying from.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Slateblue

I'm fairly new to ebay and PayPal, so perhaps this has an obvious answer ... . And I appreciate this is a PayPal forum.

I have bid on an ebay item and won it. The seller wants me to pay directly via her PayPal account - i.e., outside of ebay. She has sent me her email address, and has now sent a PayPal invoice to my email address [I did not give her my email address].

The seller had advised she would add 5% of the bid price to cover PayPal fees.

I had assumed the Paypal payment would be done through the ebay site.

I am concerned that by paying direct to Paypal, I am losing some protection that I would have if it were paid via ebay.

I asked the seller to relist the item for the bid price [+5%] on ebay, just for me the buyer, so I could pay through ebay.

Question: am I right in wanting to do this only though ebay? What are the [additional] risks paying directly to PayPal?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Dian

Hi Dan16_10,

Thank you for posting :). 

You are still covered under our buyer protection. It does not matter on which website you buy items you will have our protection. 

The information that the seller provides does sound a bit suspicious. Normally he should be able to list ant item on eBay. This should not be a problem. It looks as if the seller wants to sell you the item off eBay. 

So My advice for the next time would be check all the feedback the seller has received for the items he sold and make sure that the checkout happens on eBay. 

If the seller does not respond to you I would advise you to open a dispute. 

I hope this information helps. 

- Dian

Login to Me Too

dan16_10
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much to both of you for answering. Acutally he did send me a message yesterday, saying that he sent the ipad. Therfefore, at least now I know that if I will not receive anything, I will be able to get my money back.

Login to Me Too

Gason
Contributor
Contributor
Hi dian, I am in a similare situation: I found a new MacBook Air on eBay for a great price of $900. The seller offered me $800 if I paid direct to his paypal. I clicked the send money, typed in his paypal address, typed in details of the item and payed as goods or services. He continued to message me on eBay about sending the item. He said he sent it via express and should get it within a couple of days I never received the item after a week He deleted his ebay account and I looked at his recent feedback a couple of days after my purchase to see around 8 negative feedback about items not received (all 387 other feedback a previous to this where positive) I opened a dispute, would I be covered for a full refund? Thanks for any help!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Arda

Hi Gason,

Sorry to hear this had happened.

Yes, you will be covered under PayPal buyer protection policy. You did the right thing by opening a dispute.

A dispute can be escalated to a claim by either party within 20 days of the dispute being filed, at which point we'll investigate and decide the outcome.

To escalate a dispute, follow the steps below:

1. Go to www.paypal.com/uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click Resolution Centre near the top of the page.
  3. Click View next to the dispute you want to escalate.
  4. Click Escalate this dispute to a PayPal claim near the bottom of the page.
  5. Follow the instructions.
  6. Click Escalate to a Claim.

We'll contact you if we need additional information. We'll try to make a decision within 30 days. To check the status of your claim, log in to your account and visit the Resolution Centre. At this stage, you'll also have the option to choose a partial refund to settle your claim in the Resolution Centre.

I hope I’ve explained this clearly to you and put your mind at rest.

Arda

Login to Me Too

Gason
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks so much Arda! I wasn't sure as I didn't pay through an invoice (although I did put the details of the item in the message and pay by goods or services) and he deleted his ebay account so I am unable to retrieve information from that, that definitely puts me at ease Thanks again
Login to Me Too

TAYNLILYSMOMMA
New Community Member
Is there somewhere in paypal policy that clearly states all of this? I have always tried to use invoices to ensure coverage but a lot of people use money requests and from what I understand here not only are money requests disputable and covered so are monies sent via send money for goods? Do I understand that correctly? Thanks!
Login to Me Too

markmartinswag
Contributor
Contributor

weird situation here...on ebay I saw a guy who had a iphone for auction, since I buy and re sell iphones i offered to pay from paypal so he wouldnt have to pay huge ebay fees, and i would get the phonecheaper. he then told me there was still a paypal feeif we did off ebay and thatf the only way there would be no fee is if i sent as friends and family. he also told me that i wouldnt do that because i would have no protection as a buyer. thats why i trusted him, he told me before anything that i had no protection. however i still wanted to send via friends and fmily so i could get a cheaper iphone. i then asked for this paypal email and he told me, then i sent the money. he asked for my adress and i gave it o him... it has been two weeks and he has cut all communication....is there any way i will able to get my money back?????

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.