i paid an item by mistake and not covered by ebay protection

parandy
Contributor
Contributor

about a month ago i won a car on ebay   and since then   ive had no luck with the seller  to arrange collection and pay 

so since then when i buy something  it comes up  in the paying part  i always click pay only this seller option for the thing i want to buy other than the car but today i did that  and for some reason  i paid for every thing  i instantly rang paypal to tell them some thing went wrong  and i paid for items i didnt want to pay for  and i want it stopped  and refunded

they were no help at all  told me i had to contact the seller  and get them to refund it   and if they dont, open a case

but because its a car its not covered under ebay protection  and it wont let me open a case  for some reason

so am aloss what too do  does it mean if the seller  doent refund it   he can keep it ????

i was panicking  so i quickly went up to my bank and withdrew all  my money   even though it said compeated on paypal it hadnt gone from my account as yet   does any one know what will happen next   i gather if the seller refunds all  will be well but i want too know what happens if he dosent 

also  how can people place adds  to pay by paypal   if its not giving the buyer protection  it should'nt be aloud full stop 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You need to read up on buyer protection before you start buying and then seller protection before you start selling.

Paypal only covers you for items that can be sent in the post.

Like all protection policies there are exclusions and the onus is on us as buyers and sellers to read up on it before starting to use the service.

That said you can get the sellers telephone number by going to advanced search top of paypal pages > left column and click on contact member > fill in the details and ebay will email you their telephone number.

If they don't refund then you can threaten them with small claims court action (which is much easier than you think) but normally just the threat works and they refund.

BUT they may tell you to come and collect the car instead.

If they don't refund or let you have the car then if you funded your paypal payment with a card you can contact your card issuer and see if they can chargeback for you.

Good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

parandy
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the info   

i knew paypal protection was only for things in the post   there was no way id use it for something like a car i havnt seen 

in person 

so i take it paypal must send the buyer money  then claim it from you ??

why i was able to get money out of my bank still  

what i would like to know is will paypal  take out any funds now what goes into my bank account even if its less than 

the money they sent 

or can i ask the bank  to stop that  perticular payment to paypal 

i still think they should,nt be allowed to do that if there isint enough funds in your  bank account  i could.nt go to a shop and use my debit card   to buy something  if no funds were there 

will see what happends  the seller has'nt responded as yet  

i can see this a painful process i would,nt mind if it was a few quid   but its not 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.