could someone explain how paypal works and what are the fees.

robbo000
Contributor
Contributor
3 REPLIES 3

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi robbo000

Here is some info from the website:

What is PayPal and how does it work?

PayPal is a safer, simpler, smarter way to send and receive money online.

You can use PayPal to shop on eBay as well as thousands of other websites, or to send money quickly to anyone with an email address. You can also use PayPal on the high street where the number of shops accepting payments is growing.

Paying with PayPal is also faster. Once you’ve linked your card or bank account to your PayPal account, you won’t need to provide all of your card details every time you shop online. PayPal remembers all your financial details, so you don’t have to, and we’ll never share them with anyone.

Signing up for an account is easy, and it’s free. All you need is an email address.

PayPal is available worldwide and in all major currencies.   What are the fees to use PayPal?
Question : Answer :

Sending money:

There are two options to choose from when sending money through PayPal:

• Send Money to family or friends:
    It's free when you use your PayPal balance or your bank account. A small charge applies to debit or credit card funded payments, which either the sender or recipient can pay. The total fee will be displayed below the payment type description when you make an entry in the amount box. For more information, click Fees at the bottom of any PayPal page.

• Paying for goods or services:
    It’s free to send money to pay for purchases using PayPal.

Receiving money:

The fees for receiving money depend on the situation:

• Receiving a domestic personal payment (e.g. a gift from family) is free if the sender uses their PayPal balance or their bank as the payment method. If they use a credit or debit card there will be a small fee. The sender can decide to pay this or pass it on to the recipient.
  • If you're receiving a business payment (e.g. when selling items on eBay) then you'll be charged a fee. For more information, click Fees at the bottom of any PayPal page.

Adding or withdrawing money:

We do not charge for adding money to your PayPal account. The same applies for withdrawing money from your PayPal account to your UK bank account. However, bank fees may apply. Please contact your bank for details.

Note: If your attempt to withdraw money fails, PayPal may charge a fee of 50p in the UK to cover the costs of the returned bank withdrawal.

Refunds:

If you issue a refund within 60 days of receiving a payment by using the 'Issue Refund' link we'll reimburse you the variable part of the fee you were charged, but we'll keep the fixed part of the fee.

Currency Conversion:

PayPal charges an exchange rate for exchanging money from one currency to another.

If your transaction requires a currency conversion, we'll use a retail exchange rate. The retail exchange rate is our wholesale cost of foreign currency (determined by an outside financial institution) plus a currency conversion fee. This fee depends on the currency you are converting into.

Cross Border:

When you receive a payment from a customer in a different country you will be charged a ‘Cross-Border Fee’ in addition to the normal receiving fee.

This fee is to cover the cost of the extra processing required for payments between different countries or regions.

Login to Me Too

Vinylheaven
Contributor
Contributor

The fees on small transactions in particular are an obscenity - 5.77% on a £10.57 transaction for selling goods - this is too expensive and I for one will be encouraging my buyers to use bank transfers in future. The fees in no way reflect the economies of scale that Paypal enjoys.

Login to Me Too

Jpleshette
New Community Member
These fees are ludicrous. Just got charged £2 on a £53 payment. I will be using bank transfer next time on eBay - PayPal are too greedy
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.